www.informit.com - good online resource

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, May 7, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I don't see or hear this site mentioned much, so I thought I'd just punt it out amongst you guys in the hope that it would benefit someone.

www.informit.com

I've been a subscriber to Safari Books through InformIT for some time. For only $48 a month you get 5 chapter downloads, an unlimited 'bookshelf' of favourites and (legal) access to thousands of eBooks from publishers including both Microsoft and Cisco Press. More than that, InformIT also regularly publishes podcasts and articles in subject areas across the length and breadth of IT.

One interesting advance Safari has also recently made is their 'rough cuts' which puts on chapters of books which are still being written, allowing you to feed back to the author as well as having access to material before it hits the shelves.

Even if you don't subscribe to Safari, InformIT has been, for me, an incredibly useful resource because of their articles and podcasts, and the variety of knowledge you can glean from there.

And no, I'm not looking to buddy on to people to get some cash back :biggrin hope someone reads this and genuinely finds it useful.

I mainly thought of CF as I am currently downloading a podcast from here on Cisco Technical Certification.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

$48 a month? :ohmy Holy crap! I can buy three books every two months for that price!

Last time I got Safari, it was $15/month... and I didn't use it enough to justify the cost.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

I use mine all the time, so the cost justification is easy.

$48 is the top cost subscription - I think it goes down to around $15, so you pay for what you use, essentially. And yeah, I could buy 'X' books a month for the equivalent cost, but I get access to thousands of books and other resources for that price. Well worth it, in my book :)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You study more than three tech books every two months? :blink

I'm good... but I ain't that good. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Arroryn

Study 3 tech books? Nooo lol.

But I do use the Windows Pocket guides at work, as well as command references, and I've found it useful for our Blackberry rollout too. And I read the books for leisure as well - there are good books on asset management and other management-orientated topics I find disgustingly interesting :biggrin