www.e-academy.ltd.uk

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by killyfish, Jul 9, 2009.

1. killyfish

killyfish New Member

Hi guys & Girls,

Just joined the forum but I really need some advice.

This company are offering a 5 day course for the MCDST and I was just wondering if these type of fast track courses are really worth it?

I have asked them about stats in regards to the pass rate but they blew me off saying that they cannot give such information because they do not have it. I have an appt next week with them and the courses are the on the following link:

http://www.e-academy.ltd.uk/courses/courselist.asp?CourseCategoryID=47

Required Courses
    2261 - £1095
    2262 - £725

Basically I am asking is it worth it and can one actually study and pass the exams in such a short time?

I have been dealing with XP Pro for many years but if I am honest I simply install it, configure certain settings to gain extra power for the PC.

Any advice would be great, in fact I would be grateful if someone could point me in a clear direction to how and where I could study MCDST and what knowledge I would require to be accepted to train for it.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance

Rick

Certifications: None so far
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hiya Rick,

You will have to decide about whether you want to do it or not, but having been to the e-academy myself, can vouch for the quality of training mate.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Hey mate,
    I took the MCDST exams without really doing any training for them, and that was based on my usage with XP\Office since it came out. IMHO it was quite straight forward. If you think you have enough experience, why don't you try taking a mock exam (somebody else should be able to provide you with preferred providers) and see how you get on with that..? Or get the MS self-paced kit book, which I think I read has a few practice questions in there. Either way, probably best to go through self-study before spending £xxxx amount on training providers.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm in with Boyce.

I sat all my IT exams at the e-academy as it's my closest centre.
    I haven't done a course there but I've seen the training going on while I was there.
    I'm also on pretty good terms with one of their trainers.
    I can vouch for the fact that it's a well set up and professional organisation.

I've been thinking of going to do my Prince 2 course there.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd advise against it.
    1) Cost- My MCDST will cost approx £1740 less than this one.
    2) Memory- Sure, you can cram in a lot of knowledge into your brain in 3 days, but that way of learning almost guarantees most of it is going to leak back out again pretty quickly.

I'm self-studying for my MCDST at the moment. It's taken me 3 weeks to get to the stage where I feel I might pass the exam, and that's with the ink hardly dry on my A+ and N+.
    I'd recommend getting the MS Press books and self-studying. It'll take longer but at least the information will go into your long term memory
    If you decide to do the course after trying self-study at least you'll have a bit more knowledge going into it, and an extra £80 on books is nothing on the £2K you'll be spending.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd agree that it looks expensive.

But you need to consider that this is proper classroom training with MOC and a certified trainer, which isn't cheap in itself.

I know we like to do a bit of TP bashing from time to time, but this isn't a case of sending you a CD in the post and lettig you get on with it.

For those of you who lack the experience or motivation to self study with a couple of books then I would suggest this as the way to go.

Yes, it is a lot to cram in, but I guess you would be doing 9-5 in a structured learning environment.
    For those of us who 'self study' - how many can honestly say they put in that many hours per week?

I used to self study 'full time' and between breaks, checking emails, playing the odd game, making coffee - I probably only did 4 hours a day of quality work.

Each to his own I say.

7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This is the only bit which causes me to pull a funny face, I have never in my life known any educational establishment that couldn't on demand give you figures for course pass rates. Unless its a totally new course of course.

Other than that, this appears to be a tp that people on here are willing to say good things about making them about as rare as rocking horse poo, so if you like the look of the course and you think you've got a fairly decent grounding in the subject matter anyway then go for it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think the vast majority of people wouldn't need classroom training, never mind at that price.
    I reserve my TP bashing for those who sell "training" to people who don't have the experience to back it up (e.g. selling a MCSE/CCNA course to someone who doesn't even work in IT yet) and those with unethical sales practices.
    How will they know if they haven't tried?
    Still, 30 odd hours to go from the OPs quoted experience level (set-and-forget) to MCDST level is a huge ask.
    Yes, each to their own, I just think the OP would be making a mistake going on that course with their current level of knowledge. The length of those courses suggests to me they're final cram courses, not zero-to-hero courses.
    It's not so long ago that I was in the OPs position, I could configure XP the way I wanted it and troubleshoot effectively. There's a huge difference between that level and knowing how to configure and troubleshoot XP for a variety of user/business requirements.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Course pass rates != certification exam pass rates. Some people don't even take the certification exam after taking the training (crazy, yes, I know!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

To a certain extent, that the point of this type of training and what MOC is aimed at.
    It is certainly not aimed at zero-to-hero training.
    This sort of course is aimed at B2B customers where they have a guy in the IT department who they would like to brush up on Active Directory - so they send him on a 3 day course.
    As BM said, there may well not even be the requirement for him to sit an exam at the end.
    Why pay an extra £100 to give them a cert that only has a place on their CV? You just want someone who understands AD better.

Which is why you don't give them a couple of books to read and tell them to come back in 3 months.

11. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I would say "NO" to that course. 5 days for this price is just a robbery.
    I did spent for my MCDST £350 including MS books, video,exam cost, exam simulation. I did pass the 70-271 and I wiil do soon the 70-272.
    So if you have that much money to spent go for it if not stay calm and patient.
    I have seen MCDST courses in classroom for £195
    look at http://www.networkacademy.co.uk/index.shtml
    I know that is not close to you but at least it gives some ideas how much it might be.
    Maybe you can find some cheaper courses near to you.
    Good luck.

Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) on XP-Pro (2261/2262)
    www.microsoft.com/learning/syllabi/en-us/2261afinal.mspx
    www.microsoft.com/learning/syllabi/en-us/2262bfinal.mspx
    Leading to MCP exams 70-271 & 70-272 (exam fees not included)
    Price to Learner
    £195* or £525
    (includes Microsoft books)
    Days Mon-Fri
    Dates 20th – 24th July 2009

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm gonna blame that on having been starring at a whole load of code for the past 5 hours... that 'course' wasn't meant to slip in there :p

Even taking the fact that not everyone takes the exam I would have thought any tp would make a serious effort to know the percentage who do take the exam and pass. It says a lot for your course if you can say 'of those who take the exam x% pass'

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Which is why I'm suggesting the OP gets a book and then reconsiders their options once they have a solid foundation.
    I can see how it would make economic sense for a business to pay that sort of money, but not an individual.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So consider courses that DO state their pass rates. What methods are they using to boost that percentage? The braindumping problem is already bad enough with instructors trying to boost their students pass rates to make themselves look good to management... the last thing we need is an "XX% PASS THEIR EXAMS ON THE FIRST TRY" war that leads TPs to increase their use of braindump materials...

...just sayin'.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A 'training centre' such as the e-academy shouldn't need to be obsessed with the pass rate, as BM quite rightly says they may well not know what they are.

A student may choose to take his exam at a slightly later date when he's done a bit more revision, or may simply not tell them what he scored.

There are more important things to think about and some places keep going because they keep their corporate customers happy and coming back for more.

In the long term it's a more sustainable business model.

Someone who can look after big corporates by delivering consistently good training with trainers who know their stuff and professional facilities don't need to bang out marketing hype quite as loudly as some others might.