WTF!!! MSN breaks internet connection?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by hugorilho, Jun 14, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

The weirdest thing is happening to me: everytime I log on to MSN Messenger the internet connection breaks down!!!!!!????? It does not happen with any other net-related service or program. Everything is fine with Mozilla, Skype and so on. It only only happens with MSN Messenger. The only thing I found on Google was this dude http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/832330-internet-connection-breaks-when-running.html but he didn't get an answer. Ideas anyone?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Uninstall and then reinstall?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

LOL. My goodness...!! Thanks for the tip, dude. But I must say it reminds me of a portuguese joke that takes on IT staff. it simply goes like this. Three dudes,one of them is an IT tech guy, are having a nice little car ride in the countryside when all of a sudden the car engine stops working. After they've tried nearly everything they could think of to solve the problem the IT tech guy suggests that they should leave the car and come back in. Hehehe. Ok! Has anyone else had this stupid MSN problem??

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

your wonderfully sarcastic response doesnt actually make it clear if you have actually attempted to uninstall and reinstall the app as suggested. Its a fair suggestion, have you tried it?

what about this

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I remember that joke from a few years ago. :biggrin

Seriously though, an uninstall\reinstall or a repair install is a quick thing to try and can fix many "weird" problems.

What OS are you running? Perhaps try a system restore to when MSN was behaving itself.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Problem solved guys. Uninstall/reinstall was the solution. Thank you very much. What a weird thing isn't it? I never thought such a thing could be possible...oh well. As always this forum rocks, and you guys are the best!

PS: I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I mean, I myself am willing to break into the IT industry, but we cant take ourselves too seriously. Right??

7. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Pão com chouriço.

It works for me all the time. :p8)

Oh and hello to another homie. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  8. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

What do you mean homie? Are you portuguese? Pão com chouriço é do melhor!! hehe

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Tru dat.

Time was, people who wrote applications coded them to output useful things like logfiles where you could look for all kinds of useful info. Nowadays, with uberfast connections to teh intarnetz its often easier, on a single machine, just to uninstall the piece of crudware and reinstall it from scratch. Course, with MSN Messenger you always run the risk that what you download will bear absolutely no relation to your original client, break all of your useful little add-ons that you have for it and reset all your settings to default, making you open pop-up windows to ****ty MS sites and reset your search provider and homepage to MS... but I digress :twisted:

I often have hearty lulz at people earning twenty grand a year less than me who nevertheless think that my job involves 'turning it off and on again' or 'uninstalling and reinstalling' when I have to backfill for support guys. They can take the piss all they want - the reason I do that is so that I have to spend less time with them and more time playing with cool toys at my desk. Why spend an hour troubleshooting using ProcessExplorer, Filemon, Regmon, TCPView, Netstat etc etc when a reinstall takes five minutes? And if I happen to undo all their settings along the way... well **** 'em - this ain't no Mr Rogers' neighbourhood :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I always get the all you do is push a button response from people who obviously are oblivious to what I actually do

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have manged to train my other half into the following process prior to asking for help:

1. Close and reopen form/page
    2. Close and reopen application
    3. Restart PC

You'd be surprised how often it works for her, and how much like an IT person she appears to her colleagues. Now, if I could train every other user in the world the same process, we'd all be much much happier.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Ya, tugalhada on the internets! :p:biggrin

Oh and greenbrucelee, that reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9j80Jkc_A

:p:twisted:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE