WSUS Migration Part 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello,

As some of you read my previous post, I was inquiring about the migration process of WSUS 2 to WSUS 3.

My setup was WSUS 2 on windows 2000 server using MSDE instead of the actual Microsoft SQL server 2000 or 2005. I wanted to Migrate from WSUS 2 to WSUS 3 but onto a windows server 2003 platform.

Here are my steps. Btw before I proceed I want to thank those to responded back and of course zeb for his detailed explanations which of course helped a lot.

1. Setup a replica WSUS 2 server on the windows 2003 platform.

2. I had to install the WMSDE instead of MSDE because from what I read MSDE has a limit of 2gb. I was getting an error regarding the MSDE database reaching 2gb limit, so I couldn't complete the synchronization. Installing WMSDE seems to have fixed that issue. By the way, WMSDE installs along side WSUS installation. You have an option before you start installing to chose the sql server or instance you're
    going to be using.

3. Once the installation completed, I updated WSUS 2 to service pack one and proceeded with the synchronization. It took about 4-5 hours to complete, but the the wsuscontent folder was around 10GB in size. I placed both the SQL and the update folder on another partition that I created. My server is running in a raid setup for redundancy.

4. Once the synchronization completed, I did an inplace upgrade to WSUS 3 SP1. By the looks of it, WSUS 3 install either a newer or different database sofware and then upgrades the current database to be compatible.

5. Once the upgrade finished, I changed the synchronization settings to point to the microsoft update site. In WSUS 2 you can not change from a downstream to upstream server unless you were to hack the install and database, but I wasn't about to full around with that.

6. At this point it's a matter of adjusting the GPO to point to the new server.

Everything went smooth so far. Today is the first day since all the clients pc's and server are reporting back. We have multiple offices with a replica WSUS server in each office, so I went in and pointed each server to the new WSUS server.

We'll see how it all plays out this week. But it was a definitely fun experience.

Thanks again :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good to see that you have it all up and running. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Well done. This is something I'll be implementing in the next few months so found this a very interesting read, rep given.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270