WSUS as virtual machine??

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by nugget, Sep 26, 2007.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm in the process of setting up an ESX server and was wondering if anyone had any experience of having a virtual WSUS server. The idea I had was that a WSUS server would perform quite well as a virtual machine as it would only need to check occasionally for new updates from MS and (when needed) from the clients too. Not so much 'work' as such but then someone told me that it's a bad idea as it takes up too much resources.

:blink

Anyone have any help for me here?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

No experience of it Nugg, but how would a WSUS server take up to many resources? SQL servers take up resources and they can be virtualized.

8)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

WSUS can take up a lot of disk space, which can be expensive in an ESX farm as they are often using SAN storage

other than that, it can hit the CPU a bit when updates start going, I've seen it virtualised in a lot of places though, its one of the first things that gets virtualised in small/mid sized environments in my experience

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks guys, that's what I thought.

I have 4 300GB disks configured as a RAID 5 with a hot spare. This gives me 600GB usable space (approx) so I think I will put it on as a VM.

The other things that will also go on are an AV 'server', a server for a finance & accounting package, and a server for some networked applications that we have.

We had thought to eventually put our exchange 2007 on there too, but that might not be such a great idea.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

it would be a fine idea provided you had appropriately checked performance requirements and workloads
    plenty of people run production EX and SQL systems in virtualised environments :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0