Ws_FTp 530 Login Incorrect

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by madrob, Sep 3, 2003.

1. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

All of a sudden my FTP program wont allow me access to my web site files. Evertime i try to connect an error comes up with

530 Login Incorrect.

I rang BT who connected me through IE and used the same passwords which worked fine. I went back to WS FTP to try again but nothing? Does anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Any short term ways for me to send my files to the internet would also be very usefull cause i cant update the work website at mo! I may be asking a very stupid question but have never really dived into the FTP/Internet side of computing!

Thanks in advance :!:

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The closest thing I could find to an answer was at www.justlinux.com . I did a search of the forums and came up with this:

http://www.justlinux.com/

It seemed to solve the problem in question. I also found a pdf file for setting up ftp servers at www.siliconvalleyccie.com that might be helpful:

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/ftp-server.htm

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Common problems with 530 Login Incorrect errors can be spaces, case sensitive entries, incorrect user name and/or password, etc. First double check all of these. Second are you connecting to FTP space that belongs to another ISP from the one your connected to the internet on. Some ISP's wont let you connect from other ISP's.

Do you have any Firewall software installed on your PC or do you go though a proxy for internet conectivity. You may need to switch to pasive mode in the FTP software.

Just a few ideas, let me know if this is helpful

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I always use IE to FTP these days

5. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

AHHHHHHHHHH

THis is really getting to me now! Thanks for your responses guys but i just cant get it to work! Everything seems to be set right, ports, passwords usernames, IP addresses but oh no! 530 Login Incorrect! :x

Any help? Can you recomend another way for me to send my files? i really need to update the site soon!

Cheers guys!

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

What ports have you open on the firewall?

7. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Hi guys

Kinda sorted now! I can FTP from the server machine, but not from any of the client ones?

Not sure why this. Our "IT guy" said he will have to install some kind of software to allow the client computers to FTP? Im sure he doesnt know what he is talking about! Roll on my first exam is what i say! I cant wait to learn all this my self so i never have to speak to Mr "Ill get back to you"!

Anyway, thanks guys!

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Glad you got it sorted Rob, Must be a firewall issue then! If your looking for a solution then consider looking to see if the correct ports can be opened on the firewll so you can FTP from a client machine, that is unless doing it from the server is OK.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...