Wrong Direction?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Jaron78, May 29, 2015.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

need some advice really. Took the 70-680 for the 4th time today.
    Read through all the questions and was confident that I had passed.....525

Totally devastated and really don't know where to go next.
    The direction I planned to go in was 70-680, 70-686, then using 70-417 to upgrade to an MCSA: Windows Server 2012. But the problem, I keep falling at the first hurdle.

Maybe its just because I am down about the score but really really deflated today. I have a SCCM 2012 course lined up through work in July so I need to build out a Server 2012 and install SCCM 2012 so I can do some practice before the course. Maybe look at re-visiting the 70-680 after that?

Thanks guys,

Ron

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

It happens buddy, chin up and go again.

The worst part is the loss of money, other than that no harm in the grand scheme of things, just keep going until you get it. At least you will know it inside out when you do get through it!

If you are going to take a rest I would still try if I were you to maybe read a chapter or two every other week, just so it doesn't all start to fall away where you are not using it etc. Try and keep into it a little bit, re-enforcing what you know and building on it but in a slower more gradual fashion, might help it stick a bit better also.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yo bro, gutted for you mate but don't despair. There's something we're missing here, that's all it is. You think you're covering everything but we're missing something. What does the print out say? Are you smashing some areas but doing poor in others or is it low across the board? It's difficult on here but you need to sit down with someone and talk through what you know. You're clearly a bright person, I just think we're missing a trick with our revision. We also probably need to discuss what practical work you're doing to prepare as those practical questions at the end of each chapter cement all the text in your head.

Don't give up, and don't get down on yourself, our strategy just isn't right on this one but you'll get it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Mate it happens to the best of us, I failed 70-291 4 times, I would have sworn blind that I knew the subject matter off the top of my head but I still failed it that many times.

I would probably suggest leaving the subject alone for a while and tackling something different, give your brain some time off and see what you can do elsewhere.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. JK2447

I said the same to him. 291 aka the beast actually made me question if IT was the career for me.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  6. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Gutted for you :(

If you can, I would think about resitting in the next few weeks, while the knowledge is still pretty fresh and to just work on labbing - no more practice tests - so that you know every way of doing every major task. Get everything into 'muscle memory'

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  7. Jaron78

Good Morning Gents,

First of all, thanks very much for the positive comments. Stepped away from the Computer last night (Smashed Destiny instead) and was great to read so many helpful and inspiring comments this morning.

I was thinking of taking a Step back (as per @SimonD) (For the short term) and concentrating on the SCCM training which is lined up for the 20th July? We have the software but we don't use it so I am going to go into the course knowing the SCCM stands for System Centre Configuration Manager and thats pretty much it.

Saying that, as @Coupe2T says, I can download the CBT Nuggets to my iPad and watch a Chapter per week on the train. At least that way, I will still have some information going in. Once I have the SCCM Course the way, I can push on with the 70-680 material on the domain that I am setting up for SCCM perhaps.

I also agree with @monobrow in that I need to step away from the practice exams and just Lab, Lab, Lab, Lab. I was taking the tests and getting over 70% / 80%.

I have setup my Z220 running Windows 10, and installed VMWare.
    I have a 250GB SSD, with 2 internal 1TB Drives. I also have a 1TB USB HDD attached and 32GB of RAM so quite a hefty machine.
    I am going to Ebay my iMAC and with the money, going to get another screen for the PC giving me dual screen.

@jk2447 Its really odd mate. On the last exam Deploying Windows was my stand out at 100%, this time was a little lower but I improved in other areas. One thing that destroyed me was such a low marking in Installing, Upgrading and Migrating to Windows 7. This really annoyed me as its such a basic subject. I can migrate, upgrade, and Install Windows 7 in my sleep so how on earth is that so low?

8. JK2447

You're possibly choosing the answer you know you'd implement in real life and not the Microsoft answer mate. Loads of people fall down on this point. There's their way to pass the exam and the way you'd do it in real life, which to be fair its sometimes the same, but not always, as real life has factors such as budget, existing architecture, the customers wishes etc

9. Jaron78

I will be honest mate, that has really hit home.
    When I am presented with Scenarios and Situation questions, I base it on Real World in the job situations. I need to move away from that and put it into a Microsoft Monotonous boring long winded scenario.

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And that's the problem with Microsoft exams, they always give two decent answers, the real world answer and the exam answer, unfortunately most people haven't understood that Microsoft want the exam answer, yes it may be illogical because there are easier ways around the issue but that could involve a 3rd party tool and that's not what Microsoft want to hear.

I still think taking time out and doing the Config Manager course is the right thing to do (just to let you know, Microsoft don't own the trademark on SCCM and usually prefer to call it Config Manager even tho they use SCCM :()

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Jaron78

Nice one, thank you Simon.
    I have just ordered a second screen from Ebuyer (Will sell my MAC and just run Windows 10 as Dual Screen) and Lab everything (SCCM I mean).
    Once I have this out the way, I make a start on the bloody Windows Exams again. Not being funny, but Id take 700 on the nose quite happily ha ha

12. archie

archie Bit Poster

to
    You have to think "Microsoft World". I would read a question and think about my workplace and how I would do things there.

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...
  13. Jaron78

Thank you all, really appreciate all the comments and input.
    I have looked through my scores and I seem to be struggling on Networking. On that basis, I am going to hit the Network+ 006 before going back to the 70-680.

Hopefully, this will give me a bit of a confidence boost, as well as really push my networking skills forward. I have a meeting with work at 14:30 to discuss if they will cover the cost of training materials / exam should I pass. I am going to use CBT nuggets and Messer, as well as the All in One by Mike Meyers.