Writing Prince2 foundation certification-please help

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by certtest, Jun 21, 2011.

1. certtest

certtest New Member

Hi all
    i am new to this forums.
    I am planning to write prince2 foundation certification exam
    what books i have to read or what sites are the best to refer and in which sites I can get the material online
    please suggest.
    I am writing within a month.
    And what is the exam pattern,pass mark etc

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The foundation paper is basically a memory test. The questions are all multiple choice and will relate to the various documents and roles. They're not difficult, along the lines of 'which document is used to record potential risks'. You just need to remember the framework.

There are planty of books out there - just make sure you get one for the right edition. I used the official OGC manual which was dry as a55holes and probably cost a few quid.

As long as the book is clear that it's for Prince2 foundation then I'm sure there are many to choose from. Pick one that suits your reading style. There even used to be a 'for dummies' guide which is pretty easy reading compared to others.

Like I say though, for the foundation you don't really need much of a depth of understanding, so don't go buying a great big tome.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. certtest

certtest New Member

Hi JohnnyMx

thanks for the reply.my friend gave me a OGC book but no where it is mentioned as foundation book.
    I am confused now.whether i should read this book or not.

4. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Is it the 2005 or 2009 edition?
    Johnny is bang on with his description, it's painful reading!
    I would go with the dummies book, much easier to follow and everything you need to pass the foundation is in there.

Cheers

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The OGC book contains everything you need to know for foundation (and more). In order to sit the practitioner exam you will need to know more about application and be able to tackle some scenarios.

It is indeed painful reading, but if you go through it just pay more attention to the charts and tables that show which report is used for what, and what the roles and responsibilities are. The waffly bits aren't too important.

Maybe I should add that most books are 'Prince 2' and there are not likely to be seperate books for each exam - they cover the same stuff...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. certtest

certtest New Member

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, that's the 'official' manual.
    It contains everything you need to know, it just isn't particularly easy reading.
    That is to say it presents the facts but it doesn't really explain them terribly well which is why we've recommended some lighter reading. If you aren't attending a tutor-run course you may benefit from the additional help.

Generally speaking, all books regarding Prince 2 are likely to contain the information needed to pass the exam. That's the point of them, or rather to give you the skills needed to embed Prince 2, which is what the exam is testing.

8. certtest

certtest New Member

I am not attending any tutor-run course.I have to read at home.I have just this book.So do you people say that this is enough for me to pass the foundation exam or do I need to buy any other book to pass.please explain

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What I've said is that, yes, it is enough to pass the exam(s). So is any other book on Prince 2. However, the OGC book is not written in a way that makes it easy to understand the concepts, other books may.

I don't mean to be rude, but I think you may be pushing yourself to get the exam done in the next few months if deciding on a book is this complicated. :biggrin