Wow, it sure is quiet in here. PING Server+ Passers

Discussion in 'Server+' started by Arroryn, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've been looking at some Certs to do for... err... light relief (don't ask) and was wondering what those who have passed it thought of the overall usefulness of the Server+ Certification (I will probably ask the same of the Security+ elsewhere...)

Looking at CompTIA's latest exam objectives, it gives a good overall grounding in server basics that I know I lack - SCSI stuff (never touched it), configuring RAID arrays, configuring service tools and so on and so forth.

In short, it's the 'Second Line' version of the A+. Back when I did that I knew the basics of how to put a computer together, but I wasn't sure of the 'why's and where's'

I know that despite the exposure I get to Second Line level work at my place, I'm not going to get my hands on installing any of the blades or anything like that at *any* point soon - but that doesn't stop me from hitting things in a lab at home.

The servers we currently use are all 2K3 environment; but CompTIA certs being what they are, the Microsoft certs aren't really going to tell me how to configure SCSI and RAID and things (are they?)

My only hesitations are:

1: I remember how shoddily worded my other CompTIA exams all were. Will this one be just as painfully bad?

2: The price. Is the punt-out of £169 for the exam worth the ticket?

3: Available materials seem shoddy. The only recommended 'full fat' book by CompTIA (ie, not an Exam Cram) has only had one rating on Amazon, and it's 2 whole stars. All the other books on there seem so out of date it's untrue.

So is this a Cert that's in its death throes? If so, is there an equivalent someone could gently push me in the direction of? Keeping in mind I want the basic, neutral (and mainly hardware) server knowledge as opposed to using any Server OS, as I DO get access to that.

I don't care if employers have heard of it or not; this isn't for employers, it's for me to help me :) I know I can just buy the book and take a gander and not have to sit the Cert... but that'd be like paying to get into a football match and then shutting your eyes and listening to the commentary on 5 Live. Okay, it wouldn't be, but I've been up for 3 billion hours and I can't think of a better analogy! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MS certs/courses/books will only tell you how to configure software raid. As for my opinion, I haven't taken the Server+ exam, however I have taken 3 other Comptia exams and from what others have said the Server+ is not much better when it comes to wording. Saying that, £169 for a cert that doesn't expire and if Comptia ever gets it's system administrators qualification off the ground, you'll be only 1 Comptia exam away from getting it (security+ being the other exam).

I was going to take the Server+ exam this year, however due to work I'm having to change my 2009 plan and do other ones instead...

Short answer, imo, go for it :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security