Would you change OS to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by IT2009, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Correct, and funnily enough I had no problems
    I guess because I buy Asus motherboards, Microsoft Keyboards / Mice, BFG Graphics cards it just seemed that, yes, drivers existed

most of the people complaining to me had rather old or no name hardware that wasnt even under support from the vendor any longer
    uh, hello, :)

To answer the original posters question
    I run Win 7 x64 on every system I own (even a Mac) apart from the netbook that requires x32 version (it's still Windows 7)
    and Vista ran on most those systems before that

I have 12GB Ram and thank god 64 bit is finally mainstream
    XP 64 sucked bawls
    Vista was great if you had the hardware, now everyone can finally enjoy more than 3GB of memory :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You managed to get Vista to perform acceptably on a netbook ? What spec was it, Atom proc ? Did the laptops have SSD drives ? You really must be a tech god !

My Core 2 Duo regularly goes to sleep for like a minute while Vista makes it mind up, that fact laptops have slow disks seems to be an issue. I had to kill a load of vista settings like search indexing and system restore etc, still performance is awful, I regularly see a blue spinning circle and am unable to multitask, how is this an acceptable modern OS ?

Booting seems fast, only when you get to the desktop you cannot load a webpage for a further 2 minutes !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Must be your computer; I haven't ever had those problems with Vista.

Dunno about Vista on netbooks, because I don't see the point in spending almost as much money for a netbook as I would on a full-function laptop. That said, I bet it can be done; I had no problems running Vista on a 2.4 GHz P4 with a gig of memory.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

My Dual Core T8100 2.1GHz Sony Vaio (GeForce 8400 GT) shipped with x86 Vista Home Premium (with 4GB of RAM! go figure) and whilst it booted well, run programs well, it would give me the spinning blue circle just to open a folder (particularly from the Start Menu)! Used to really wind me up to be honest and my only issue with an otherwise great OS. Never could figure out why it did it as my mates Laptop was a lower spec and seemed to run faster :rolleyes: Leading me to think my case was more something Sony setup than MS.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yep its the preinstalled OS on my Dell laptop, uninstalled some of the crapware but didn't bother with a fresh install.

My desktop runs 64bit Vista better, but even that sometimes seems sluggish, which considering the spec is crazy.

I'm going to upgrade to W7 soon so I doubt I'll ever know exactly why it is so bad, but I'm pretty sure half the apps don't function well on Vista, Vista itself has a much larger footprint, it also seems to have a lot of counters, indexing, system restore etc hitting the disk.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

how about a repair install and install the mobo drivers again?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

The same would be if you say that we all are kool-drinkers here who are preparing for A+ because we read lots of advice about that from forum members.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  8. BosonMichael

From your statement, it doesn't sound like you know what the term "kool-aid drinker" means. It means you've blindly bought into a story that isn't true. The difference between the statements "Vista was sent to market unfinished" and "The A+ will be helpful to an entry-level tech" is that only one of those statements is true: the latter one. Thus, if you believe the latter one, you have not "drunk the kool-aid". :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I moved to Win7 at home on release, was running Vista and had no problems with it but I'm always drawn in by new and shiny.

I'd love to move the company to it and escape XP entirely but that won't be happening, the majority of our users will be on Terminal Services within the next 12 months.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Yeah I upgraded as I think personally it's important for me to keep up to date with my job. XP was the first really good OS from Microsoft for me but I think it's had it's day. The biggest jump for me though was from 32bit to 64bit regardless of the OS.

I think Microsoft have gone some way to appeasing Vista users with the price of Windows 7 as looking back Vista is a resource hogging turkey and possibly up there with Millennium as the worst Microsoft OS ever released.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

From your statement it sounds like you don't want to accept what I was trying to say.
    And then if i believe in latter statement I am not kool-aid drinker - hehe, you must be drinking something for sure.

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I didn't think that Vista was that bad, especially on PC's / Laptops it had been installed on by the OEM. Obviously it didn't run very well on low ram, but I used it on a few systems and didn't mind it at all. It certainly wasn't ever as bad as Windows Millenium IMO. Windows 7 is much nicer though, I think most people agree on that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I've seen Vista on a range of hardware, and it has never ran "snappy". It works, but there has always been something sluggish about it.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  14. BosonMichael

What ARE you trying to say? Not sure you do... cause you're not explaining it very well.

Just read the forums, and you'll see that I'm not the only one who has proof that it absolutely works.

Now, please, stop trying to "beat the experienced techie" - you're failing miserably, and it's distracting the original point of the discussion.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  15. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Sorry, am not offering wikipedia links like you - awesome link about kool aid drink i must say - or was it a joke perhaps? - wikipedia link to help or a tool to redicule??
    Well, I am as well mostly interested in topic here but can't help it when senior techie is treating junior as sh**
    so have to react to your attittude - "Ah, so you are a kool-aid drinker too, I see." - your sentence doesn't sound like you are mature senior techie - maybe senior but not mature. Sounds like someone looking from the roof of the world with arogance and naivety even. Senior techie is respected by others - how can I respect you?

16. BosonMichael

Er, no... that's where the term "drink the kool-aid" comes from. :blink'

Well, see, I'm not doing that at all. I'm telling you that you have bought into the misinformation that you have been fed about Vista.

Whether you respect me or not is your choice. But respect is something that is earned over time. You simply have not read enough of my posts to realize what I'm all about. And if you'll do your research, you'll see that what I said about Vista is true. Not trying to "be arrogant" or "better than you"... I'm simply trying to tell you that you are misinformed about Vista. To succeed in IT, you'll have to learn how to accept being wrong without taking on a "victim" mentality.

Hey, you'll either listen to my advice or you won't. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Continue to believe what you will. Or, do your research and see for yourself. I encourage you to do so.

17. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

See here :-

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-522477.html

I had already killed Search / Disk Indexing and System Restore.

Stupidly I played with readyboost to try to get performance gains when Vista first came out, never got any imrovement and even Intels Robson technology has gone quiet, now disabled it, fingers crossed.

Have also disabled windows defender now, yes I left it on, and yes I know its crap, but I'd thought it might get better and I'd give MS a chance, turned off now, thanks but not thanks!

Superfetch, well this might help on some systems, hard to be sure, but on my laptop with a 5400 rpm drive, 4GB of RAM and 32 bit Vista, I'm pretty sure any cache misses will blow away any benefits from a hit...

So with that all off now maybe life will be a little bit better...

However I still probably have lots of other Vista processes like auto defrag and various performance counters, logging etc that will no doubt kick me in the nuts.

As for peoples comments on previous versions Windows NT 4 was fine and so was 2000, XP was basically rebadged 2000. The NT kernel has had relatively few changes over the years.

18. BosonMichael

Agreed. That kernel change caught many hardware vendors with their pants down. And because the hardware vendors weren't ready with stable drivers, the public-at-large mistakenly believed it was somehow Microsoft's fault. And many people - even techs! - still believe that to this day.

Let us know if disabling those services gives you any joy, D! :)

19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I suppose Microsoft pulling the sale of XP around about the same time didn't do them any favors.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nothing wrong with OS X if you ask me! :tune