Worth starting MCSE 2k3 now or wait until 2k7

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by eddietop, Feb 19, 2007.

1. eddietop

eddietop Bit Poster

Hello, been reading here a bit and have decided to register :).

I have decided to study for a MCSE, because it would be useful for my job; in which we are in the process of planning a backend upgrade from NT servers to an active directory architecture.

Is it worth starting the process of getting an MCSE in server 2003 now or should i wait till the vista qualifications come out? does anyone know when they should be available to study?

Certifications: N+
    WIP: BSc Computer Secuirty
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi Eddie.

Welcome to CF! The "Vista" certs i guess you refering to is expected towards the middle/end of 2008. What certs do you have or what experience do you have?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I would stick with your current plan, do the 2k3 mcse, upgrade your network to 2003, there are numerous tools in 2k3 facilitating this sort of migration, and a 2k3 to 2k8 migration will be far less work!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for the 2003 MCSE mate.

I dont even know if its possible to jump from NT to Longhorn infrastructure. Sounds like hard work though :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Answer this question - do you think that companies will continue to use Windows Server 2003 for many years to come? If so, you'd be well served to get the MCSE on 2003. Heck, many companies (mine included) are still using Windows Server 2000 on some servers!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. eddietop

eddietop Bit Poster

2k3 it is then!

Already have the books on order from Amazon so ill start work as soon as they arrive :)

I will have to look into migration options from NT to 2k3 as it would be easier if i did not have to remake accounts etc.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: BSc Computer Secuirty
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Done a few NT - 2003 migrations before. Try the Active Directory Migration tool to get you started.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs