Worth putting knowledge of/skills in Virtual PC/Virtualization software on CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok mate, if you feel the need for an hiatus, so be it, we could all use a break from things now and again.

Mike, i know you mean well and you are always stating things as they are. However, that can come across to some that you are a bit of a 'know it all'. When in reality you don't know it all, you just know more than most :wink:

Ding.. end of round 6.

Peace.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

People will just have to take me how they take me. I can't - and won't try to - please everyone. It's not possible. :)

Anyone who knows me - really knows me - knows that I freely admit I don't know it all. And when I don't know, I either say so, or I keep my mouth shut. But when I do know, I'll share what I know. Sorry if that offends anyone... but I won't stay silent. I care too much about people to do so. And I'm quite sure I do more good than harm.

Thanks for all you do, old friend. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I was saying that it was me that Fergal has on ignore, I can guess that because of the size of the chip on his shoulder whenever I post anything he doesn't like.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Lads, lads, back to topic please :biggrin

Perhaps I should've pointed out in my original post :oops: that I've yet to find that elusive first IT job, so that was one of the reasons I started this thread. My CV is currently a bunch of office jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

For a first job? I would be very hesitant then, after all you're looking at breaking into IT and if you appear to have skills above the job you're going for you simply won't get an interview.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Using Microsoft Virtual PC on my home PC?

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As a first line tech you wouldn't be expected to use Virtual PC (I have never seen it used by Service Desk staff and I have been in IT for 13 years now), remember you want to get INTO IT, that means hiring managers expect you to not know too much, they are after people that they can mould and manage into what they need, someone who is looking to get into IT shouldn't have virtualisation skills all over their CV because if they do then they are potentially too good for the role that they are being hired for and hence wouldn't get the interview.

It's a very fine line when it comes to technical skills on a CV, especially for a first time role, what I would expect to see is something like the A+ or N+, with skills on using MS Office and other basic software packages. The likes of virtualisation isn't something a first line engineer shouldn't know yet (it's more 3rd line engineer work).

8. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I used Virtual PC whilst I was studying for the A+ and now whilst I'm studying for the MCDST - for the practical work for each course, for the exercises in textbooks.

9. BosonMichael

Yeah, you won't likely need virtualization knowledge for your first IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

But is it worth putting on my CV if I've used Microsoft Virtual PC at home to help me pass the A+ and Network+ (and hopefully the MCDST)?

11. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would say yes and then it opens up the topic of your certs and you can discuss them with interviewer and it shows you are trying to learn and gain more experience (of any kind).

Certifications: A few.
  12. BosonMichael

It's entirely up to you. If I were hiring a first-line tech, it wouldn't make much difference to me, primarily because the job wouldn't likely deal with virtualization.

I always recommend that people craft their resume/CV to the position you are applying for. When applying for a first-line tech position, list things that an employer would like to see in their first-line techs.