Worth doing MCDST?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by immoral giant, Jul 30, 2007.

1. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

Is it worth doing the MCDST?

I have just passed N+ and did A+ around a year ago.

I have just started reading up on 70-270.

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you have the funds sure why not. Its a good cert to have, teaches quite a bit of stuff. Make sure that you also have experience because to many certs with no experience is going to be hard to find a job.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Depends on what you do and what your goal is. If you are a full blown system admin, I don't think MCDST would give you that much more. If you work on a helpdesk, MCDST is great.
    If you are not working in IT at the moment, MCDST is a good start after A+ and N+.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'd agree with the others, the mcdst is directed towards a helpdesk type of roleJack wakes up with a huge hangover the night after
    especially the 272 which has alot of configuring office/outlook some of its interesting some isnt depending on where you would like to be heading. Still there is alot of varied experience to be gained from working in a helpdesk role, you get to see all of the sides of the business from the grumpy users to the flakey servers, I think that counts for quite alot and once you've worked in that role I think its easier to get an idea of what you want to do in IT, I've been there done that and know what I want to do.

Still it is a natural progression from an A+ and N+

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In my opinion, it's worth it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Vashal

Vashal New Member

I think it's worth it as well. The company I currently work for is encouraging everyone to become Microsoft certified, but this will become a requirement in the near future. Most entry-level IT jobs I looked at either wanted or required people to have the MCDST cert if applying for a help desk/support type role. My A+ cert and college work helped me into some internships, but the Microsoft certifications seem like they will really help me get my foot in the door and start my career.

Certifications: MCP, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  7. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

If your doing desktop / helpdesk / technician then it's worth it.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  8. immoral giant

My current role is an Assistant ICT Technician. Which is pretty much helpdesk but face to face. Mainly hardware problems but also software problems.

Are the exams both £88 like the other Microsoft exams?

If so I may take them before progressing the MCSA.

9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yep afraid so, I think mine cost £79.76 inc Vat (inc the 15% voucher discount from MS Press books).

I think you can use them as an optional

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. immoral giant

It appears you can, but I already have the A+ and N+. I think I will do it, I am not in a great rush to leave my current job. Should be more bearable when my supervisor leaves in April.

Any recommended books or just the Microsoft Press Books?

11. andisen

andisen New Member

I JUST GOT MY study pack for the MCSDT... i ordered the self paced pack...i ma ready to kick i need tips