Worth doing any more certs if no experience?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Feb 14, 2010.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've got three Comptia certs, am going to do the MCDST (when I can afford it, that is). But would it be worth doing any others? Obviously not CCNA, MCSE (learn my lesson there :oops:).

CCENT? Gaining skills in Virtualisation?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

To be honest with you I don't think it would be.

Try to get some experience. Volunteering maybe?
    In the meantime learn what you can but I don't think pursuing any more certifications is worth it.

As soon as you start getting experience you're free to go to certify in what you got experience in.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Nope, my stance on people with too many certs and not enough experience is simply not to hire them, harsh yes but having been burnt in the past I don't see why someone with too many certs but no experience should take a job over someone with experience but no certs.

One of the best people I have seen recently is 25 and only recently started to get certified (the funny thing is he went for the VCP as his first cert, he now has his ESX and vSphere VCP's), his technical skills are just superb and it was my suggestion that he started to get certified now to show both his experience and certifications were worth something to his employers.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!