Worth attempting CCENT, but no experience, have Network+

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jo74, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The answer you seek is within this thread. The CCENT and CCNA might do your career more harm than good at this point, since you have no IT experience. I have given the reasons in this thread as well.

If you want experience, get an entry-level IT job - that's where you start. To help you get an entry-level IT job, I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

Thanks. I looked at the Network+ course few years ago but the material contained too much pictoral or animated content. My local college are offering a range of MCP certs from September. I'm interested in the MCDST if I can do it. it's not the content that's the problem. Just the medium. Will research some online providers at weekend.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA MS 70-680
  3. BosonMichael

For Network+, I recommend the Network+ All-in-One by Meyers. I'm don't know if it contains too many pictures, but the content is good.

For Microsoft exams, I generally recommend picking up a study guide from MSPress or Sybex. They're usually pretty good - a lot depends on the author they hire to do the book.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. Straylight

Straylight Bit Poster

Thanks Mike. I'm getting an electronic copy of the MS Press guide to MSDST certification. It's gonna be a busy summer / autumn. :)

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA MS 70-680
  5. BosonMichael

Sounds great! Let us know how you do! :)

6. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

You make it sound like you would give a better job to someone with out certifications than someone with the CCENT but without experience.

I understand your not going to give someone a network admin job to someone without experience
    However at least that person has shown that he has ambition and determination and will work hard to get further in his/her career

And generally speaking someone with CCENT has the same and more knowledge than network+

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  7. BosonMichael

Yes, I would. Reasons given below.

...and is way overcertified for the position. For an entry-level job, I don't need someone with Cisco certifications; I need an entry-level tech.

You have to put yourself in the employer's shoes. If you get the CCENT without experience, the employer is likely to think one or more of the following, particularly #3:
    1) This dude doesn't have any experience. But he's passed the CCENT... he's more likely to have braindumped it. Can't take that risk.
    2) This dude has the CCENT, but I don't need a CCENT. He's liable to be more expensive than someone without the CCENT. Not gonna waste our time and his by interviewing him.
    3) This dude has the CCENT, so he's probably interested in networking, not an entry-level job. So what will happen if we hire him? He's liable to leave us as soon as a better job comes along... leaving us to find, hire, and train someone all over again. He's too much of a flight risk.

...knowledge that is largely irrelevant for an entry-level job. I'd need an entry-level job, not someone who knows router administration. That's why McDonalds doesn't hire chemists to be fry cooks, even though they know the chemical process that's happening to the fries.

8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Bit of an old topic but go for it. There is no reason why you can't do the CCENT. I've bought the official book and it's on my list to do once I get some cash to buy some kit off Ebay (still paying off the VCP course :(). I don't have hands on Cisco experience but it's good to fill the gaps of knowledge in.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. losso

losso New Member

6 months experience as a desktop support tech, got my ccna, offered a cisco engineer job and a network support job. although i do have a degree from a top 10 uni.

i got the job because of my CCNA, and only because of that, im now working along side ccie's for a managed service provider.

applied for 2 jobs, 2 offers. Simples

If you want to do networking, get your ccna, get a home lab, n get some support experience, then move into the network support domain.

10. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Repped

Certifications: A few.
  11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Couldn't agree more

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. EvilBee

EvilBee New Member

If you want to do the ccent, just do it. You wont have the hnds on knowledge, but you will learn something which is not a bad thing. I did my CCNA when I had been networking for 2 months.

You do what you feel. I ve been in networking for 2.5 years I am now going for my CCIE. I am fortunate to work for a Cisco gold partner who has a lab that I can use and act out scenarios

Certifications: CCNA,CCNP,CCIP,CCNAV,CCNAS,CCDA,MCDST