Worried about Helpdesk interview questions tommorow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kerfuffle, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

Ok Guys & Gals,

I've got not one but two interviews tomorrow. :eek: Both are helpdesk support roles and I'm worried about some of the questions I'm going to get asked.

I've read through a few posts here about typical questions and answers that interviewers like to throw at you but I'm also worried that my A+ knowledge on troubleshooting will just go completely out of my head come the time. Although I passed it with fairly high marks, that was 1 year ago now and I've not had any commercial experience.

I understand the concept of SLA's but I've never been in a helpdesk nor used any helpdesk software whatsoever and I'm worried that I'll come across as completely thick.

What kind of questions or scenarios could they throw at me that I MUST be expected to know?

:sick

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The scenarios that they could ask you are as varied, if not more so, than the questions you took on your exam. Plus, they don't have to ask you exam-type questions... they could ask you something entirely different than what you've seen on the A+ exams.

That being said, keep in mind that some interviewers will ask you difficult-to-impossible questions in an attempt to either rattle you or to see whether you try to BS your way through the answer. Whatever happens, keep your composure. If you don't know the answer to something, don't try to BS it... either say the portions that you do know, or state that you don't know, but you know where to look (if you do). Experienced interviewers can spot BS a mile away. I'd rather hire a tech who is completely honest with me, ya know?

Best of luck on your interviews! Remember that if it's meant to be, you'll get either or both of those positions. :) If not, it's simply not the right company or the right time. Just keep trying.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

When I was interviewed for a 1st line support job I had to listen to a few support calls and then write down what I would suggest to do.

Nothing to difficult, generally reboots and checking connections.

Don’t stress mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What ^they^ said and good luck 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

A lot of helpdesk roles also concerntrate on customer service as well, so expect some questions along those lines.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT