World Cup

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by shadowwebs, Jun 11, 2010.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Just wanted to hear everyone's predictions for the Uruguay vs France predictions for the 2nd game of the 2010 World Cup

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I predict France will surrender as soon as Uruguay invades the field. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I happened to be in France a few months after they won the title in '98, and even a few months after the fact it was still a major topic over there. I suppose being the host country had something to do with all the excitement. At any rate, I don't really have a dog in the hunt, nor do I particularly care for soccer, but if '98 is any indication, I bet those fans in France are pumped up!

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I have to cheer for Uruguay in this one and I predict they will get the win. France wouldn't have even qualified if it wasn't for the hand of Henry!

I would absolutely love for South Africa and Uruguay to make it out of this group!!

On a related note I am really going to have to use some time management skills over the next month what with the world cup, work, school, self study, pints at the bar, etc...

By the way the pints at the bar will start in earnest early tomorrow morning as I prepare to watch the USA shock England 2-1!! :twisted:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

France should take this I think, 2-0.

I was in France during the 1998 World Cup also. I went to watch all three of Jamaica's group games (I'm born in England, my parents came over here as small kids from Jamaica in the 1960's). The first English speaking Caribbean island to qualify for the World Cup which was good, but the tournament as a whole in terms of atmosphere was amazing :)!

I remember that time well because in June 1998, I had just completed my 2nd year at uni. But I got referred in one of my exams and had to resit it a week after I got back from France later on in the summer!

Suffice to say I passed it :biggrin!

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What World Cup?

Chortle... U-r-gay... D'OH!

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Good thing they didn't do that 250 years ago ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. BosonMichael

The English and American teams are currently drafting plans to rescue the French team from the Uruguayan invaders. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I was in Disneyland Paris on cup final night in '98 on a school trip, the atmosphere was fairly frikkin' awesome and the crowd watching the big screen there let out a cheer louder than anything I've ever heard when they got the win.

Bloody glad they won cos I was stood next to three guys in Brazil shirts....

I reckon there are gonna be some real dark horse moments this year though, with so many of the big names missing from the usual contenders.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

France to win. I have £5 on it at 7/2 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

LOL, Quality.
    Uruguay 1-0 France

France to snivel like the Bitc*es they are and complain that everyone and their Mum are against them..

12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I took a late lunch to watch the second half of the France vs Uruguay game. What a waste of time that was.

I do love the World Cup though, especially as I get to support two teams, England and Spain!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

This made me chuckle when I saw it. :)

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

15. BosonMichael

Did you expect them to tie the Brits? All right, then!

16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Certainly not. But 1-1 is not a win (obviously) and a football match has nothing to do with the battle at Bunker Hill. It's not really a 'shocker' at all either because the USA national team is actually very good.

It's a ridiculous headline. That said I'd expect nothing more from a rag like the New York Post that's pretty much on par with the red tops in the UK.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  17. BosonMichael

Well, many here didn't expect it. That said, you're probably right regarding your last statement. :D

For the record, the France-Uruguay game didn't have anything to do with WWII, either... but it didn't stop me from making comments about France... :twisted:

18. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I should have thrown in Daily Mail, Daily/Sunday Express and Telegraph readers in to the melting pot too for that matter!

I make a habit of trying to learn at least one new thing every day and although today is nearly over, finally I learned something new. The holding company that owns Express Publishing (owned by Richard Desmond) also owns Television X and assorted other 'blue' satellite television stations and 'skin mags'. :eek:

I'll stick to my 'snooty' regular reads that are The Guardian, The Times and The Daily Sport. :biggrin

19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

To all the papers holding Rob Green entirely responsible for the draw a message:

Dear arseholes,

Please take your ridiculous blame game and f*ck right off, last time I looked a football team contained 11 players not 1. Green made some fairly bloody impressive saves and his efforts should not be completely undone by one mistake, I'd like to see you lot do any better you bell ends.

Yours,

JosiahB
    (the one blaming the defence and our weakass attacking play for the draw)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Indeed. Desmond made his money in skin mags. Just like Gold and Sullivan at West Ham.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em