Working from Home

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by stuPeas, May 30, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Do any of you guys know where to find work from home. The work I mean would be Office/secretarial type work. My freind has looked but only found all these rip off ones where they actualy ask you to pay them.

Her typing skills are amazing: her fingers are a total blur and the keyboard emits one continous sound (but then again, I suppose some of you guys are like this!!).

If anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing i would be greatful for advice.

Thanx
    Stuart

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I havent looked into this type of work to be honest mate, but its a very interesting subject with more and more people working from home. It'll be interesting to see if people have heard/know about this line of work.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

At the moment, she has registered with a site that sends you surveys to complete. Some offer cash and others offer gifts and vouchers for supermarkets. As yet, she seems not to have sussed out if she is actualy earning anything, but she recieves about 4 surveys a day.
    As I said though, with her skills, she realy would like to drop the surveys and find more skilled work. The only problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff.

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I looked into this many years ago (mid 90s). There was a lot of talk at the time of cottage industries and networking where by people would tout for office type work and be able to work form home. It was envisioned that you could produced manuals, pamphlets, drawings etc in your own home for big companies that didnt employed people in taht sort of role, there by releasing time for development etc to those that currently did that sort of thing within the company as an extra task.

I never got any where with it to be honest as i couldnt get work in the first place. There dosent seem to be a lot or organisastion for people to do this out there and the companies that do say you can do it via them tend to charge you for the previlage and you never make your money back.

My best suggestion is for your friend to just contact companies such as offices etc directle, asking if they feel they may have a need for someone in this sort of role to do piece work for them as and when they get it. Its liek contracting yourself out.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Most of the "work from home" gigs are scams and should be avoided at all costs. That said, some office-type jobs will allow you to telecommute, at least part of the time (VPN is great).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Thanx guys.
    Anyone else have any Experience or know of any places to find info???

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If there were a lot of these jobs available, EVERYONE would be doing them. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!