Working freelance part time

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by trislloyd, Dec 20, 2005.

1. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I was wondering if anyone knew how i could get some freelance I.T work to support my income? I already work in I.T but at the moment i'm not earning enough! (just moved house!!!) I only want either weekends or something i could maybe do online from home (nothing dodgy!) I won't bore you with details of what i'm capable of (i'll save that for my perspective employer). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I would keep your eyes peeled on the agencies. Sometimes things crop up like "weekend only".... Or projects that are for 2 weeks only.

www.theitjobboard.co.uk

www.reed.co.uk

www.monster.co.uk

www.jobsite.co.uk

Let us know how you get on :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The building and fixing of computers for friends and family usually helps.

Eventually you will get people offering to pay you to come fix their computer.

If you work in a big enough place as your primary job then if you prove that you know what you are doing then people will say the same thing to you there.

What works for me is offer 'free' advice to the person whilst you are at work, ask them the following day how things are going, then they usually say "would you mind".

:biggrin

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Good advice, Si. I see you went to the Peckham school of business like me :thumbleft

5. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice i'll take a look as i have just finally updated my C.V. I have been told i'm getting a proper<<lol pay rise in January but they keep promising me they will pay me what i'm worth and never deliver! I like the company and i'm getting good experience but i think once i have my m.c.s.e i may start applying again. You have to way job satisfaction up with hard cash!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I agree totally. Get what experience you can of them and give them the fingers! Once you have another job lined up of course!