Working for online gambling company

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Theprof, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey, I have a quick question.. what are your thoughts in terms of working for an online gambling company? Does it have any effect on your career with future prospects?

Reason I am asking is because I was offered a position at this online gambling company that is well known... Great package and great environment from what it seems. I am just curious if I should pursue it or not.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

I used to work for an online gambling company in Gibraltar, did my career the world of good. I got lots of exposure to new technologies, learnt loads, a promotion whilst I was there, a decent pay rise then when it was time to leave I landed a nice contracting role due to the stuff I picked up.

Go for it.

I had a phone interview for an online gambling company in Panama last week that i'm seriously considering!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO "no"... As long as it's legal and you're developing & improving your skills.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Cool, thanks guys... The opportunity as a Windows Team Lead sounds great and the environment is fantastic, multi-forest multi-exchange and lots of other cool stuff.. the latest technology and all... I personally did not think that this would affect my career either and I asked around and I was told the same thing, its all good. I will post more info soon.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I currently work for a well known online gambling\online exchange company and have no qualms about working for them (infact I gave up contracting to take up a perm role with them).

Just be aware that the environment should be heavily reliant on change management and some of the infrastructure should fall under PCI compliance requirements and regulation.

Overall I am happy where I am, not currently looking at moving and even with a daily commute of between 5 and 6 hours am not finding it too much, work is varied and am dealing with some decent technology (although not VMware which is a bit of an issue for me as I am keen to get more involved with that but time will tell whether that will change here :))

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

At the end of the day, doesn't every company exist to make money for itself?
    They do that by attracting customers and getting them to pay for products or services.
    As long as it's legal, why worry?

There are always going to be people who have 'ethical' issues with what you do, but so what?
    We've got people camping in tents in London to protest about the ethics of banks and bankers who surely think of themselves as a respected profession.

The only thing that matters is, are YOU comfortable with what you do?
    If you are, and you can convince others, then there is nothing to worry about.
    If you feel you're doing something a bit dodgy then that will come across in future interviews.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nope nothing dodgy from what it seems... I mean the company has CCIE's working for them for quite a while... I did my research on them and they seem like a legit company... they also did a credit check and criminal check on me so it shows that they're serious and all... I am confident that its a legit opportunity, just more curious about the industry, but you guys pretty much answered that so I am thankful for that...

8. kishmbee

kishmbee Bit Poster

There must be no confusion if you are comfortable with the salary, cause, one get in a trouble even while working for a NGO. So, its money that matters, it doesn't makes much difference if the employer is a gambling company.