Working for free....

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Dhughes, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Some of you might of picked up form my hello thread but for those who didnt see it im one of the poor fools that would like to change career and begin in IT, im currently doing the A+ Technicians with a goal of MCSE at the end, ive read and really do apprechiaite what some of you guys say about have the qualification with out in job experience is near worthless as i see this in my current employment, mechanic that have studied at colleague and not had an apprentishipm, they know most of the theroy but have no idea about doing the actual job or "common fixes"

i think i do know th answer already just want somebody in the industry to say Yay good idea or no chance nobody will say yes, just really to give me a feel of the responses id get,sorry rambling,,,

My question is do you guys think it would be worth while me writing/visit IT companies around my area and seeing if one of them would give me like a Saturday job, id work for free just to gain the experince and also i think when i do search for IT employment it would look better on the CV

What are your opinions? Cheers

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, it is worth doing that, perhaps apply to some charity organisations?

I noticed on your “hello” thread that you have set up some networks for your mates businesses. Can you list that as experience on your CV?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes i do think it would be a good idea, after all, what have you got to lose?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Ooooo yeah of course , could use a bit of poetic liencing too i mean it doesnt have to say their my friends does it lol

5. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

AMEN to that!! :@)
    Thanks for the encourging words :@)

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi Dhughes, part of the program that I did in computers was a 2 month stage. Believe me when I say this, but if it wasnt for the stage that I did, I would not be working in the company that I work for today. I think an internship is one of the best methods of learning and gaining experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

I shall skim though all the subjects in the A+ techinicians cirriculm (cant we get a spell checker on here lol) so i got a bit more text book knowledge then ill start appling :@) should be end of the week or next week at the latest , quiet excited now!!