Working as a CONtractor

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by loca1hero, Dec 19, 2011.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hi,
    I will soon start working again .. as a contractor in the new year as I have been offered a role working as Service Line Analyst, I have worked for the same employer in the past and went with a umbrella company for payment, this time I'm thinking of a better option and came across sites like best-pay.co.uk and more-pay.com were they claim to get you more money to take home then umbrella companies. So I just wanted to know if anyone has used their services and if not what do you guys think of it (check the above sites if you may) Also thought about setting up own company and doing it that way but have never done this before and again need your views on this.. is it easy, hard, good, not so good of an option,.. etc
    If I use the same umbrella company they will charge me £25 per week, does anyone know any companies that will charge less. All your replies will be a big help and much appreciated.
    Cheers

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and congrats on landing a new gig job wise. Anyway, I have not worked as a contractor but I do visit this web site periodically as you might find useful info here. See link below:

Using an Umbrella Company - Umbrella Guides :: Contractor UK

All the best and keep us posted on your progress and decision.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Steer clear of the fly by night companies offering you over 85% return, because when (not if) HMRC come after you for dodging taxes they won't be around to stick up for you.

An umbrella is a decent thing for lower earning contractors, there comes a break even point where it's worth opening up your own limited company but you have to ask yourself where that break point is.

Personally speaking (although I am currently in a perm role) I would always stick with my own limited company (I started out using an umbrella years ago, at the time and rate it worked for me), the downsides of running your own company are you have to have the funds set aside for quarterly and annual taxes, you have to file your annual returns and keep an eye on expenses (it's not simply a case of expensing the lot because doing that will get you investigated).

In your shoes I would stick with the umbrella (Parasol and Paystream are both decent umbrellas, infact Paystream have been my accountants for the last 5+ years).

Oh and as far as charges are concerned, that's actually not a bad price to pay considering they do your payroll and returns, anything cheaper and I would be worried.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Working as a contractor at the moment, I can only echo SimonD's thoughts - especially para.1!

I currently use GIANT who are well worth a look.

Congrats & good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks onoski, I have already checked that link and sure will update as I start and how I find the job.

6. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thank you all for your input, I might just go with a umbrella company then

7. archie

archie Bit Poster

I use Giant too - very happy with them and would recommend :)

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...