Working abroad - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Apexes, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Last update:

3 months goes bloody quick doesn't it? i'm due to fly back next week, and i'm taking a week off as i've had zero holiday while out here. Done sume huge projects out here.

A few of a long list of things i've done out here:

Implemented and rolled out DFS to users
    Installed Uniflow office wide (eventually)
    Built 3 windows 2008 servers & configured
    50 machines upgraded to win 7
    installed and configured sharepoint 2010 & sql setups
    Completed a huge office move with 200 machines, servers, switches, racks.
    Patched 400 network ports
    Installed video conferencing units (9k a piece)
    Introduced the germans to office voicemail on cisco ip phones :mrgreen:

Longest working week: 82 hours
    Beers sunk: getting close to at least 500
    Most popular easy food: burger king
    Latest time home from a night out: Sunday evening at 6pm - after going out on the Friday before at 9pm...
    Germans offended: 3
    Times i looked the wrong way crossing the road and nearly got knocked over: 265

So i've got a 3 week stint back in england, 1 week of which i've got off, then i'm coming back in may for another 2 weeks to finish off some things, then back to blighty :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Wow, it has been proper quick hasn't it!. You got any more stints out there planned? seems like you've had a fantastic time. I'm jealous!

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

nothing just yet, but would come back out in a flash, or even elsewhere if i get a chance to in the future! :mrgreen:

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It has gone quick! I remember the original post asking peoples opinions on it; glad you made the right decision!

Once again, im well jel as we apparently say in Essex! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It sure does, sounds like yesterday that you posted about possibly going on this trip!

The list of things you did sounds like quite an achievement! You just forgot one off the list, the number of German ladies you "befriended" :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'd love to do something like that too! I fly out to our remote locations for a few days here and there but never for more than a week. Non the less experience is great and you've achieved tons of work in such a short period of time. Good Job!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Some pictures Index of /images

the patching on the rack is a bit tidier now, that was day 1 :mrgreen:

The actual blokes who installed the server racks put alll the patch panels together, rather than switches inbetween which annoyed me, hence the mess!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. samlea72

samlea72 Bit Poster

Wow What a great opportunity, I was going to add my two cents originally then saw you already accepted it but will tell you anyway through a story. My very young cousin came to florida and wanted to swim in the Ocean but for wahtever reason was hesitant and asked me what to do. I said: When you leave here, are you more likely to regret that you did, or regret that you didn't? She went in the ocean :)

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Common problem that mate and very annoying as you said!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs