Work Your Proper Hours Day

Discussion in 'News' started by Fergal1982, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Work Your Proper Hours Day

Work Your Proper Hours Day (23 Feb 2007) is the day when the average person who does unpaid overtime finishes the unpaid days they do every year, and starts earning for themselves. We think that's a day worth celebrating.

Over five million people at work in the UK regularly do unpaid overtime, giving their employers £23 billion of free work every year. If you're one, why not take some time to reflect on how well (or badly) you're balancing your life?

To Read More, Click Here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Sparky
      Sparky
      Interesting post, Ive always said I would finish work 'at 5' each day but I never do :biggrin
    2. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      ive been in arguments with management about this before. at my last job i got told off for being a few minutes late. my response was along the line of:
      "ok, if i have you be in seated and logged in at bang on time every day, then ill be logging out at bang on leaving time, regardless of whats happening (ie in the middle of a call, no-one in)"

Regardless to say they didnt seem to appreciate the logic of my argument there. but the point is if i cant be a little late coming in, then they cant expect me to work a little over leaving time.

I do put in little bits of overtime at my work now, but nothing major. then again, theres no need for me to
    3. Sparky
      Sparky
      Its up to you mate, but I feel if you want to progress in IT then you have to work more than just the 9-5 structure. As most network migrations take place at crazy time of the day then it is only expected that you will have to work ‘more’ hours. That’s just an example of the crazy hours of IT.

I guess the policy of the company really sets the standard. :biggrin
    4. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      true. bear in mind that the last job wasnt in IT, just a callcentre. and the role im in has no need for overtime. Besides, the place i work at at the moment is quite good. if they dont give overtime, they are usuallly quite good (at my sort of level), of giving you your hours back.

There has to be give and take in any company. You have to be willing to work over at certain times, but they have to be willing to give some back. Regardless of your job, they are paying you to do a contracted set of hours. continually working well over those hours doesnt give a true estimation of your worth. nor does it help the business work out where it needs more staff.
    5. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      I think the key here is
      its unprofessional to be late
      its also unprofessional to hang up in the middle of a call because its 5:30

your right, it is give and take and most companies will work with you on that, if you often work after your finishing time its usually very easy to arrange for a later start so you can say, go to the bank, the key here is its arranged
      turning up late is poor time keeping, not making up for extra time spent at work :)
    6. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      to be honest phoenix, my main issue was that they tried to pull me up for being 2 mins late logging into their phone system. 90% of days i was at least 30 mins early arriving in the office. I wasnt working at that time, but i was there, and i would frequently be asked to start early because they were short staffed and would do so. It also didnt help that on the occassion where i was late logging in, as i recall its because i was talking to the MD.

Im not against working over your alloted hours, but i do agree with the concept of work your proper hours day. If they contract you to work 37.5 hours a week then they shouldn't expect you to work more since you wont be getting paid for it in most cases. When you do work over, it should be noticed and appreciated (and them letting you know its appreciated wouldnt go amiss either).

I'd also like to point out that i havent actually ever hung up on a call, i was using that example to make a point to them that two minutes was ridiculous to pull someone up about, after a single instance. repeat lateness, yes i can see, but not a single occurrence.
    7. wizard
      wizard
      Then again, there are some people promoted into management jobs and fail miserably at it because they want to be a manager in name only and not actually do the hard work that goes with it.

The amount of companies that I gave worked in where the managers don't have a clue, I don't have enough fingers and toes. It makes you want to bash your head against a brick wall.
    8. drum_dude
      drum_dude
      I think the name of the game here is don't work in Call Centres or jobs where your hours and time keeping is so closely monitored. Personally I hate these frickin professions as they are full of little Hitlers on a power trip that ACTUALLY get off on bollocking peeps for being late logging into a phone! Pathetic!!!

So what am I saying? Well if you can't deal with the above then get a job where YOU manage your own time...lateness etc will never be an issue if you take pride in what you do for a living.

Oh and every hour/minute I work before 8 and after 5 I ENSURE that I get paid for it...this crap of letting you leave early or get your hours back is always on the employer's terms! I went through this rubbish at Cap Gemini and ITNET...never again!

Lesson learnt!
    9. Sandy
      Sandy
      If I did people would die, and I do mean that!
    10. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Where do you work?????

There are some jobs where overtime is expected regularly, but there is usually some sort of allowance that goes along with this.

Or, commonly the higher you are in the structure, the more likely you are to have to work a decent bit of overtime (or are essentially permanently on call). This is usually made clear at the job offer/interview, and the pay reflects this.

Fergal
    11. Sparky
      Sparky
      Some interesting points have been raised in this post.

If you turn up for work a 9:08 and get pulled up by management look at your contract. If it says the hours of work (or whatever) are 9-5 then what are you moaning about? Also for those who think ‘mangers’ just want that in their job title are you a manager yourself? Its not easy! :biggrin :biggrin
    12. drum_dude
      drum_dude
      I think Sandy works in the NHS
    13. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      LOL - I wish I had the luxury of doing a regular 9-5!

Although, tbh, that's not strictly true - if I just did the regular hours I'd either be bored off my nuts working on a helpdesk somewhere or (heaven forbid) in middle management. I don't mind working the odd weekend, and, since I only sleep about two hours a night (on average) I'm often up at stupid times working on a few problems, so the extra hours don't really bother me.

Also, I'm lucky enough to have a boss who understands how shitty the commute in is for me, so they let the odd late appearance slide, as they know I often work two or three hours later than my 'normal' hours dictate. Plus, I can get in at ten and leave at six anyway through choice. Its not the hours working that do my shwede in, its the three hours a day travelling that make me nuts.
    14. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I've also said I would come in 'at 9' every day but I never do. :p
    15. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      As Phoenix said being late in the morning or back from lunch is unprofessional and it gives a bad impression to your superiors and your fellow workers that have managed to get in on time.

If you decide to work late, that is a separate issue, which is up to you and it will be noticed by everybody, including the managers.

There are good and bad managers as well as good and bad employees. However, the job of a manager is not as easy as it looks. The real bosses want their pound of flesh, believe me.
    16. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      You're just jealous. 8)

heeheehee
    17. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      No, I am not - I work from home, so as long as I get out of bed before 9am, I am *in* on time :p
    18. Sandy
      Sandy
      I do...
    19. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Ah, I miss those "work from home" days (but not so much the work I was doing). The roll-out-of-bed-and-stumble-to-my-office commute was awesome. :)