Work overseas - Pheonicks56 would know

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by skulkerboyo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Originally i was going to reply to something pheonicks56 said in another thread but didnt want to hijack it so I'm sticking it here instead

I'm leaving the country next year. My partner of seven years finishes education so we're heading to Asia. She has relatives ou there. She's not Asian but speaks and writes it fluently as she grew up there. Quite funny is as her tutors were american for her english schooling she had an american accent which she has now shaken off and replaced with a mixture of plum english and west country. Think posh hobbits.

I want to stay in I.T. regardless of what level or field and have been assured there are plenty of opportunities for work if you know where to look. Anyone here have experience of working in ASIA. We have all the details sorted including employment for her. We're just going to have to wing it slightly on my part I guess

Pheonicks56. How long have you been based in Japan. Are you working in I.T. there? I have considered setting up a business supporting the ex pat community as a side line if I end up having to teach english until I find something. I'm moving to Taiwan next year but plan to live in China and Japan as well. Maybe a couple years in each depending on how I get on.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm not much help. My entire experience in Asia consists of a whopping 10-day visit, most of it in a poorer area.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

You could find an IT recruitment company that does work in Asia, but is UK based?
    This may envolve some digging on the net, but their are companies out their!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  4. skulkerboyo

I'm fairly confident of being able to find work there. I have a contact out there as well who will be helpful nearer the time and I've already found a few ex pat sites that have been useful.

just wondering if anyone here has any experience of relocation to Asia and work over there

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  5. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

I wish I knew how to speak and write in "asian" too. I know a few basic words of "oriental" and "european".
    But my strong is "african". :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I have nothing to add except good luck, and you owe me a new keyboard. I just got tea over this one.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. skulkerboyo

Lol

we have a spare left handed keyboard (seriously! num pad is on the left)

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

We've got one of those in the cupboard here, cost ninety odd quid and looks like something out of the nineties as well....

bought it and the member of staff it was purchased for took voluntary redundancy. well worth the cash that :p

9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

eBay.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. skulkerboyo

I bet its the same model . . .hang on

OK its a sejin electronic inc model skm-2040. Korean

Its so heavy I may incorporate it into my weights routine

11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

bang on, exactly the same. complete with curly phone cord style cable.

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Lefty keyboard snap!

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. skulkerboyo

Classic. Yeh the person we got it for decided they didnt like it after a couple of days and went back to regular

90 quid well spent then!

14. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I've been in Japan for almost four years now. Unfortunately I do not work in IT here, well I run a small PC repair shop out of my home on a US Navy base. From what I know it is almost impossible to get a job in IT or almost anything for that matter unless you speak Japanese, think about it. The Japanese culture is all about efficiency, and throwing in someone who can not speak the language would be rather inefficient. That and the country has it's bulging population of young ITs trying to wriggle their way through the ranks as well. I do recommend you looking at teaching English, I did this until my company went bankrupt a couple of years ago because of a huge scandal with a different company. It is quite a lucrative deal in fact, I was making Y3500/hour just about $35/hour. Plus they paid transportation fees. I wish you luck though, it is definitely not easy making it here, I actually would not recommend it unless you just really want to live in this country or have family that can support you. Living conditions are border line third world because of inflation and cost of living.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  15. skulkerboyo

Thanks

This is why we would be focusing our energys on Taiwan. She has a father and a sister living there already both of whom have poor chinese but make a decent living. In addition a father of one of her friends works supporting american corporations possible through an agency.

Japan sounds difficult. Thanks or the heads up. Maybe we'll just visit. We've no solid plans as yet. We have a friend that lives there though as she is a model she does quite well. Some people get all the luck