work expirience any ideas?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by richrolls, Feb 23, 2011.

1. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

Hi all I am currently studying city and guilds computer maintanence course (level 2 diploma in ict systems support) at collage on 1 evening a week and also home studying the comptia a+ course, the 2 courses link very closely to each other but essentialy im just trying to get the knowledge and qualification`s to get a foot in the door so to speak in the IT industry.

I currently also work full time and am a parent to 2 which means I am only able to free up 1 day a week, although the course and home study seems to be going well so far, I really want to do some work expirience as i think it would help alot in gaining on the job expirience, on the cv and would really help in getting that first IT job as im not sure an employer would be willing to employ on a basic qualification alone.

THE PROBLEM: I have applied to pretty much every pc shop in the area , the local council`s, larger IT companys within the area PC world repairs and anything else relevent I could think of for work expirience with absoloutley no luck what so ever, if any one can think of any other way of gaining some "in the field" work/expirience please do share as am all out of ideas thanks for any advice rich

2. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Well all companies now use IT equipment to a certain degree so forget contacting the obvious targets and look at other companies, lots of smaller companies dont have internal support or support contracts and would be a good start, they are also more dynamic, personable and less likely to be 'Unable' to recruit you even thought they do require additional support! knock out a letter of introduction and spend half a day dropping, I think you may have further success if you try small professional businesses, charity shops, factories/industrial premises on trading estates etc.
    You may think this would be unsuccessful but give it a go, what more have you got to loose than an afternoon and £5-10 in stationary! you may have several options and be able to negotiate salary and hours (to fit in with your family life)!

Good luck!

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Contact your local schools and see if they can do with an IT volunteer, we've done it twice already (would have been thrice, however the person got a job before he could start).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep look for a position where you can volunteer. You will get experience then you will be able to put it on your cv whilst applying for paid positions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. welshwaynejack

welshwaynejack Bit Poster

Certifications: Bsc Computer and Information Systems
    WIP: Msc Computer Forensics
  6. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

Have you tried local charities, youth clubs, schools, colleges/universities etc?

What about large companies in your town? They will have IT departments.

Have you tried attending places in person, rather than sending letters? Try visiting places and asking to speak to the IT manager, but make sure you turn up smart.

Good luck.

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)
  7. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

Hi thanks for all the responses and ideas, genuinly does help as at the moment really felt like had tried all possible avenues, any way will try the websites and all mentioned ideas and hopefully will have some luck so thanks again and as always this site comes in very usefull keep up da good work!

8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I got my current job through the University Job board but before that came along one thing I was doing was doing searches for little companies that were resellers and partners with the big companies like Cisco, Microsoft, Dell, etc... It could pay off the small company I work for just hired a guy to work just 8 hours a week on a couple days. I think he just walked in one day and asked if we were hiring but he certainly could have found us on a number of websites such as Cisco and Dell.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

google local it comapnies and write to them saying u wanna volunteer for free so they can get free labour they love free labour u know what i mean dude.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It doesn't have to be an IT company. Nearly every business out there uses computers these days and thus they need someone to be able to fix issues when they occur.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?