1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Exp

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Sep 1, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

So its been 6 weeks now since ive been working at this place and to be honest its very good and im not one to blow my own trumpet but i think ive done quite well. Im going to carry on next week and may as well stay there until i get a job fro somewhere, it keeps me active and my brain ticking over etc, plus monday is going to be such a rush when all the kids get back, i can see little problems coming a mile off lol

Anyway, the IT lads got me prezzies and most importantly, 8 bottles of beer to say thanks, which is a nice touch really.

Just thought id share that

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you're having a blast.
    If it's feasible to stay there I think you should, short-term at least*. Looks like your getting good experience and working with a good bunch of people. Adding a much larger amount of users is going to be a bit of a challenge, you've maybe not experienced the sheer delightfulness of some users views of what IT is and how computers work.
    My first experience was volunteering as well and I think the reference I got from the sys admin probably played a big factor in getting my first IT job. He told me roughly what he'd written over a beer one night. Sounds like you'll be getting a nice reference on top of your prezzies and beer.

*if they keep you busy more than 20 hours a week, once everything is bedded in, then they need to start thinking about taking someone on part-time. Get the experience while you can, but don't be a mug.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

To be honest i am enjoying it, there is one bloke who basically if it wasnt for him, the place would fall apart, and say i get stuck on something he's showed me and ive only remembered a bit of it, hell show me again until it sinks it, and doesnt even get mad etc.

As for being a mug, i have done donkey jobs but they now know what i can do so im getting more responsibility and im left on my own. There are people who try and take the piss, but i tell them in a polite manner to get stuffed, well maybe not to that extent etc. I may as well carry on till i get a job, beats looking at demoralising jobs every day. Im still looking, and im sure something will come up

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680