Word XP and space(bar) issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by dales, Jul 11, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Right then i give up. I've been trying to sort this all day for a user but I cant figure it out.

When you type in a line of text to work then place the cursor back at the start of the sentence, if you press the spacebar to insert some blank spaces nothing happens it doesnt create a space. I have informed the user about tab and indents but they have a "certain" way of working. If it possible to get this working or is it something that has been removed from word xp never to see the light of day again.

(this is quite ironic actually as I've just posted about my waivering interest in learning the 272). Oh well.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...I assume it still the same prob when they open a brand new document?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes, I can replicate the issue on my machine too, so not sure if its the way oxp was deployed or whether its a feature of office.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

How did you replicate the issue?

Does that mean you can revert it back on your word?...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No sorry, wrong choice of words, the "problem" is on my machine as well, i was just wondering if there was a tick box for it hidden away somewhere. TBH I dont think its a real issue but the user is rather old guard and if I can help them out I will. on another note the users have office xp and we use office 2003, so it spans at least 2 versions of office.

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

this wont really help you but it dosen't do it on 2007.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Um - it doesn't do this on my copy of Word XP.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you tried repairing office? dunno if that helps as the problem you are saying isn't standard item that should happen by default?
    and does this problem happen throughout the company, or just you two unlucky characters?

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Or mine.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I remember this issue from years back, basically if you type a word and move the cursor back to the start of the word and press the space bar nothing happens. In theory the word should move along as you tap the space bar.

Solution, think I just used the tab key...

Edit:

The joy of Google....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322219

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dales,

On the bottom edge of the Microsoft Word XP window, are the letters "OVR" in black or grey?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks for that, what did you type into google to get that, I've been searching for ages with every keyword I can think of!

The article didnt help mind you, I might try a fresh install of a virtual pc to see if that would help, dont really want to fiddle with his pc if its not going to work (Oh one of those users I hear you cry). Anyway need more tea thank you all!

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dales,

I didn't use google. I used my understanding and knowledge of Microsoft Word XP in conjunction with my own installed Office XP. :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

cant move text with spacebar Word XP

Nice and easy! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

mmmm-hmmm, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. 8) :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!