Word document password protection

Discussion in 'Software' started by philbenson, May 24, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

A colleague of mine needs to access some Word files which were created by another member of staff who no longer works here. However there is password protection on these files.

Is there any way of either disabling or discovering the password without having to contact the person who put the password in place?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are a number of Word password crackers about. The difficulty will depend on the version of Word - M$ have been gradually improving the protection.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I use a program called "password recovery manager". I think I paid $15 (US) for it a few years ago. It's worked great for me thus far. It will give me passwords to any M$ file, including .PST files.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Many thanks - I'll have to see if I can get a hold of that. I think the version of Word in question is 2003.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I read a really good article about how the passwords on word documents weren't secure and how to remove them a month or so ago. Typically, I can't find the damn thing now! Google throws up a few security sites describing the vulnerability and alluding to how to remove the password but thats all. I'll have a dig around later and see if I can find it again.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA