Word 2007 document corruption

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrNice, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hola dudes,

Anyone that can offer any assistance on this one I will be very grateful.
    I have several vital word docs that are now corrupt - I think. The docs were just opened/created and saved as standard, no errors etc. Now when I open them the doc opens normally into word but rather than text etc I have only row upon row of small boxes. There is no original text etc.

I have tried open>repair options within word, I have also tried several recovery programs but they all find no error. I have also tried renaming the files to .rtm and .html and them naming them back again, and I opened the files on a PC with office 2003 and the fault is exactly the same.

Like I say I am desperate, they are critical files, so any suggestions welcome.

I do run a back up schedule but it stopped working and never bothered to warn me of that fact!

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi

If the laptop/PC were the file was located is running Vista, then you may be able to recover a previous version via the "previous version" tab (when you right click the folder where the file was). Apart from that, you could try to convert the .docx file to a .doc file via an online converter, see here. Or try one of these demo products that "recover" the file, if it works then buy the full program, if it doesn't all you've wasted is some time...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the reply, I already tried that software and a fistfull of others. The O/S is XP so no shadow copies, the files actually live on a NAS RAID5 box. I can convert from docx to doc within Word by saving as a 2003 file or am I mistaken?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes you can, I posted converting the file on from an online source as it worked with a file before (that didn't work within Word).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security