Woohoo-Nailed it!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by soundian, Jun 23, 2009.

1. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yup, it's done and dusted (N10-003).
    Not much surprises thankfully. They seemed to want to know an awful lot more on routing than I was expecting, but they might have been beta questions. There were also 2 questions that only made sense, given the answers available, if a negative had been inserted into the question.
    Still, a score of 840 will do me very nicely indeed.

Now, I have a dilemma. I was all set to start my 70-271 but the only first line jobs I've found near me require Linux.
    Which should I do first? Should I bother with the Linux+?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  2. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Congrats man! :p

Have you got any experience with Linux ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  3. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Congratulations on the pass :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Congrats man :)

IMO, do the 271. It's probably more relevant to the stuff you're doing at the moment so it should be easier to knock out.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I've dabbled. I was reasonably proficient at one point, but that was several years ago. I know learning it to Linux+ standard (from a quick glance at a couple of textbooks) isn't going to be a huge task with what I already know.
    Is it going to be a worthwhile task, considering I have no professional IT experience at all, never mind in a linux environment?

7. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

That is why I asked that. :p

Going for the Linux+ without a good foundation will be a very hard task, specially if you are not used to use Linux on a daily basis as your main OS.
    If you had it as main OS, you would come across problems that would have made you go around looking for the fixes and so on, which are invaluable for your general Linux experience.

But it does not mean it is impossible. :)

I would go for the MCDST to be honest.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Agreed. See above post. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's why I like these forums. M3lt. Nail. Head.
    Thanks guys. I forgot how steep (and slippery) the learning curve is with Linux. I reckon I could bash out the 70-271 and 70-272 in the same time it would take me to get exam-ready for the Linux+. I was planning to do Linux+ anyway (for my own pleasure if nothing else) after the MCDST so I'll maybe stick to that plan.

Since there's not much jobs going here I reckon I'll have to do a speculative CV run and a MCP/MCDST is more likely to get me somewhere than a Linux+ I imagine.

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done!

I agree with what has been said: learning linux is worth it imho, although you may well find the desktop support certifies what you already know quickly and help with the all important job offer.

Best of luck with it!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT