Wondering about a deal I found online and if its worth it.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dominor, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dominor

Dominor New Member

Hey all, I have had a volunteer job in an IT role previously for 6 months fixing pretty much everything in PCs hardware wise but also some software stuff like installing and configuring etc. I know the stuff well however I feel that I could use some training and Certificates on my CV just to look a bit more respectable.

So anyway I found a deal on a website called Reed uk and it says that you get all you need to pass CompTIA A+, Network +, Security + and Server + and I get it all for £149, seems like a great deal to me, I know I have to pay for exams but with other deals just for the A+ material it costs like £250+.

Would you recommend this at all?

2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I personally wouldnt sign up to something like that, depends what there actually giving you on that package? Do you have the details?

Personally id just go on amazon and purchase Mike meyers A+ book for £30 or whatever it costs now and watch professor messer videos aswell. Then once this is passed move onto the next cert and do the same and so on.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. Dominor

Dominor New Member

Hey mate, I looked at the package and got a litle put off by it, doesnt say what it includes or anything. Going to do what you say and order the book from Amazon, found it for £23 which is a lot better than £150 :P. Also looked up the videos you stated and going to start watching them soon! Thanks :)

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Dominor

Dominor New Member

Yeah I have tried a video and they seem really good, dude knows what he is talking about :)

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, purchase a good book to get started. No need to fork out the £££ for all the training material at once.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Good Luck!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  8. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have also found courses on offer for £99 where they offer you A+ and CCNA, but I am very sure that the training materials cannot be too great really for that cost.

Don't forget to look in to how much each certification is going to cost you in exam fees, as the A+ requires 2 exams to be passed and I think they are a little over £100 per exam.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  9. Dominor

Dominor New Member

Yeah they are like around £100 each I think like you said. I got the book to day which is the CompTIA+ All in one 220-701 & 220-702 by Michael Meyers like advised from the people here. Read chapter one and I am finding it interesting, really well written and seems straightforward to understand. Also went out and bought a good Parker Pen and a large lined Pad to take down notes like I used to in college :P.

Wanna also say thanks again for the people who recommended the book and online videos, they are awesome! On my way to the first of hopefully many Certs :)