Women of Tech: Hear Us Roar, A Special Series

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Sep 4, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Women of Tech: Hear Us Roar, A Special Series

There's no doubt that women coders, developers, designers,
    and programmers are a powerful force in the modern tech industry, despite
    their smaller numbers compared to men. At the same time many of the major
    impacts and innovations of women at every level of the development and
    evolution of technology--from the first female coders to today's Web 2.0
    pioneers--aren't all that well known.

But starting now, O'Reilly Media aims to celebrate and give voice to the
    real-world experiences and concerns of these female trailblazers by
    publishing a new online series, "Women in Tech." The brainchild of Tatiana
    Apandi, an associate editor at O'Reilly, the series features articles
    solicited from technology's female side--and all focused on what it's like
    to carve out a career in technology.

Join the fun at Women in Tech.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      The link doesn't work...

and what next black, hispanic, hewbrew, monk, ninjas in tech ?

Can people get over themselves and just get on with it, bra burnings surely a bit passe now...

Maybe I should burn my underpants ! :biggrin

Ada Loverlace was a woman in tech in the 19th century, whats all this trailblazing nonsense, why politicise an issue that doesn't need politicising ?

Did I miss the Steve Balmer 'Hear us roar!' speach, oh yeah it was 'Developers, Developers, Developers!'...
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      The link works for me. I don't know what to say.

I frankly don't see what's wrong with this issue. IT is one of those career fields that is still dominated by men and unfortunately, some of the fellows still don't see or treat their female counterparts as equals. Here's a recent flap in the Linux community as an example:

http://ever-increasing-entropy.blogspot.com/2007/08/sexism-in-linux-community-redux.html

Also, I don't see the O'Reilly venue as "political" but rather a place for female IT professionals to meet and share their experiences. Please feel free not to pay any attention to them if you disagree.

EDIT: Ok, the link doesn't work...but neither does oreillynet.com or oreilly.com so I suspect that it's a web service issue on their end rather than just a bad link. Try it again later.
    3. Mitzs
      Mitzs
      Well I do appreciate the link and as you know already trip that it has made it to my favs.

Dmarsh, it has nothing to do with women receving special treatment. It has to do with us reading about how women are doing in this field. Lord knows we have plenty of stuff to read about men in this field. Good reading is good reading, and I am willing to bet there will be more then just a few men who will read it just to learm how us special treated bra burning specie thinks.
    4. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      If its about being equal why do we need positive discrimination, why not an article 'great people of IT' ?

Thats what I'd want to read, the rest is irrelevant if we really want equal treatment, why bring their sex into it at all ? In fact what on earth does roaring have to do with IT ?

Alan Turing was a great mathematician and a computer scientist, do I need to read an article 'great gay men in IT' ?

I thought the ad was pretty funny, does that make me part of the problem or does it mean I have a sense of humor ? :biggrin

Equality is just that, its not called 'mequality', its not about playing the race or sex card.
    5. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      It's nothing to do with 'roaring in IT'. I'd say the title is a very good play on the title of the book "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry". Amongst other themes in the book, it promotes independence, self respect, and doing what you "gotta do".

I'm not a bra burner. Bras are expensive, I don't want to waste them. But working as a minority in an industry can be difficult, and minority "groups" often have conferences, groups or awards to celebrate what achievements they have made. What would you make of the MOBO awards (music of Black origin), for example? Certainly something to be respected. I'm not just saying this as a woman working in IT either, as my department happens to be 50/50. I'm saying it as a woman who used to be a forklift driver. I'm saying it as someone who, on a daily basis, would be called 'heshe', 'dyke', 'lesbian' and 'freak', just for grafting to earn a living.

I haven't read the full article yet, but I will with interest.

But please don't assume just because a group of women are celebrating a common interest, that they are a rabid bunch of feminists, mawing for equality. They are not. From what I've read it's a group of people finding a common platform to celebrate what they enjoy doing, with likeminded people. My online version of this is Certforums.
    6. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Fair point :D Although I'd say MOBO is actually the majority, at least in the UK these days ! I think its really more of a music genre thing than a race/minority thing.

Everyone gets discrimination for different things, its part of life, you don't have to be a minority ! Good looking people are assumed dim, intelligent people geeky etc etc....
    7. tripwire45
      tripwire45
    8. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I don't care if you're a man or a woman, old or young, gay or straight, black or white or Hispanic or Asian... if you can do the job, and you have a good attitude, I want you on my team.

Hippie! :p
    9. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      I can cope with being called a hippie. Ya pitchfork-wielding hippie hater :tongue
    10. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I think I'm having a flashback. :tongue