WOL over VPN

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, not sure where to put this, so here will do.

I've set up my work desktop to respond to Wake-on-LAN. when calling it from the lappy in the office, it worked a charm.

However, when I got home, and hooked up via VPN, it didnt work. the program sent the call out fine, but the PC never came online.

Can anyone point out what Im doing wrong?

cheers
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

firewall restrictions over VPN?

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, probably because the traffic isn’t originating from the LAN.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Fergal1982

i thought the vpn takes you through the firewall?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

but it depends on the type of network you have there and the configurations, you may have mutiple firewalls, and the VPN may be one of the more restrictive due to security, even though you may be going through a secure tunnel.

Has WOL been allowed by the Network Admins there?

6. Sparky

Depends on the firewall to be honest. You can set up rules for traffic originating from VPN clients if you want.

For example I set up a VPN connection for a software developer today so he could get access to a server however I have configured a few firewall rules so he cant access anything else on the LAN, no need for him to get access to the DC or anything like that.

Edit:

Worth a look, http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Misc/Q_21919186.html

Also could you RDP onto a serve and run the WOL from there?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Fergal1982

yeah I can RDP. I can actually do that without the VPN to be honest. Might set the script on that, and kick it off. its worth a little hassle to be able to kick it off. shame I cant just run it from my lappy direct though.

8. Sparky

You guys dont have RDP open for any WAN traffic do you? :blink

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

There's a couple of articles (at least) on the net mate... I googled under 'wake on lan over broadband'. Looks like it might need a router config setting.

Giddy

10. Fergal1982

no idea. not my department really. I know that your AD account has to be enabled for it though.