Wireless routers

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by twizzle, Sep 21, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

Finally got f2s.com to admit that the US robotics router im using is pants. Apparently US robotics are no longer supporting it and the sales bloke at f2s i spoke to was suprised that thier tech support had still been trying to help me get it working instead of telling me to get it replaced.

However they wont replace it free of charge for me. I have to buy new. Now they do one for £80 a Billion 7402VGP VoIP/802.11g Wireless ADSL 3 Port Ethernet Router which looks ok.

However i can get a netgear one for around same price (dont know modsel yet as g/f bro hasnt had em in and thier new).

Can someone recommend a model to get? want wireless but also need a 4 port ethernet connection too. Any to stay away from? and whats the most important thing to look for besides speed and range?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have had a Zyxel 660HW for well over a year, and it hasn't faultered at all.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

They say it doesn't work - but won't replace it? If that is the case you can invoke the Sale of Goods act and say it is not fit for the purpose!

I have a Vigor2600 with so many bells and whistles I've lost count. Which is probably why it is/was expensive (I didn't pay for it - it was a loan and they seem to have forgotten to ask for it back!).

IMHO even the cheap ones will do what you want - price is about £50 in the fairs. You will find *somebody* sounding off about all the major makes. I bought a cheap Origo for my computer club and it has been solid.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Stu

Stu New Member

I have used both the NetGear and the ZyXel P-661HW, both of wish are really good and very reliable. Try and get a router that uses "MIMO" technology (basically allows you to connect to the router over a greater distances).

HTH
    Stu

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA
  5. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

For just basic routing, NAT, and port-forwarding, the Linky WRT54GL is a no-brainer.

For more advanced functions, hacking firmwares, and such, well then ... ummm.... it's *still* the Linky. I've been enamored of Netgear for years, and run the RT314 and WGT624, but I decided to switch it up a bit (although they are still great products). The 624 is still available, and can usually be found for cheap....

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

decided to get a netgear DG834G ADSL2+ Wireless router as the g/f beat her bro round the head with it till he charged us £70 (was gonna make us pay £100!!). Unfortunatley i cant get it connected yet. I think its the username and password my isp uses to allow me to connect to the net. I can get the username from the old router but not the password, will have to ring em on maonday for that.

Am gonna set the wirless to WPA-PSK and change its channel setting too. anything else i might wanna do to make it more secure? Think i can set which devices are allowed acces to the router so will do that for my 2 pcs, mobile and DS.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Hi twizzle

Firstly, if you need to get a password from your system that is masked/asterisked then google a little free program called Revelation. This is a great network admins tools that unmasks passwords on the system you are working on...including via web browsers, so you can log in to your old router and get the pass out of it.

Secondly, the Netgear DG834G is a good bit of home kit...as part of my home setup I use the DG834GT version. Never given me any issues. I would definately upgrade/update the firmware before using it live. Just log in to it and click on the 'Knowledge Base' down the bottom left...it will take you to the correct part of the Netgear website (obviously after you have sorted your braodband pass out!!).

Thirdly, You would want to use unselect 'Broadcast SSID' on the WAP setup page, this adds a little bit more security to your setup as folks would need to know your SSID as well as your WPA key to attach to the device.

Good luck. :D

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm Fortch, presumably *no-brainer* means good?

Just after a US>UK>OZ translation :blink :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - 'No-brainer' does mean good - loosely translated it means 'you dopn't need a brain to fifure it out'

And yeps, the WRT54G is the daddy of SOHO wireless routers. Make sure you get one that can be flashed - a lot of the newer ones come crippled so you can't upgrade the firmware, but Linksys hasn't moved away from the Linux-based O/S the earlier versions were built on - just downgraded the onboard RAM for the regular model - there's still a line available for the 'hobbyist' as they so quaintly put it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheers Zeb!

11. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, Zeb's spot on (there's a bit of brogue for ya). I sometimes forget that I'm one of only a handful that's a Yank .... uh, the States, that is :biggrin

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you may be in the minority number wise but the contributions that stem from the US are always superb and I believe a big part of what makes this site rock!