wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mansha, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Mansha

Mansha Bit Poster

I know this may seem like a bit of a daft question but I am new to this wireless lark I have bought a dlink di-524 wireless router I have got 1 desktop and 2 laptops running the desktop is connected via the ehthernet port the router has 4ports on it. Can anyone let me know how many wireless devices i.e laptops can connect to the router and share the internet connection at the same time like I said I am new to this can anyone shed some light thankyou.:rolleyes:

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I think it depends on the model so have a look at the docs. In any case, it can't exceed the available number of IP addresses.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Basicaly - you can connect many devices. But the more you connect the slower everything will get as they all try to compete for the bandwidth!

The hard limit will be the capability of the DHCP server in the router - but by that time things will have ground to a halt anyway.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

My LinkSys allows a max of 32 wireless devices and as many wired as you can fit on, assuming you have the correct subnet set!

5. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

these days it is about 254 devices but with that many devices you will be better off getting a dial up modem for each comp :) :)

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE