wireless problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by bmurray2005, Dec 12, 2006.

1. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

How do i connect to the internet on wireless?
    i have a bt voyager 2100 wireless adsl, it is currently powered on but not connected to anything, my laptop is telling me i am connected to the bt voyager at a speed of 56Mbps but i cannot access the internet when i connect my modem.
    i currently have tiscali broadband and i connect via a USB sagem adsl modem, when i connect this to the 2100 i cant get on the net.
    i aso have a bt voyager 10v telephone adaptor but i havent the foggiest what to do with it.

i followed the connection instructions and everything is as says in th book but alas there is no net.
    any suggestions?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You may have an IP assignment issue going on here.

Does your USB modem have the authentication credentials programed into it or do you have to connect via software on the PC?

Does your modem use NAT?

Is your modem acting as a DHCP server?

Is your wireless AP acting as a DHCP server?

Does your modem have an ethernet (RJ45) connection as well as USB?

Can you post the output an IPCONFIG /ALL when you can access the Internet and another for when you can't.

Without more info, it's very hard to diagnose.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If it isn't connected to anything then it certainly isn't connected to the Internet! :biggrin
    No - normaly that won't work. You can only have one ADSL modem connected at a time.
    This is a VOIP adaptor if you have BT Broadband talk. Do you?
    Ignoring the VOIP ATA for the moment (because I've never seen one, so don't know anything about them) you need to disconnect the USB modem completely and connect the Voyager to the data socket in the wall. Best to ignore the WiFi while setting up, and use Ethernet to get it going.

One word of warning - many Voyagers (and I don't know if this is one of them) will only work with BT Broadband unless you do some serious mods to the setups. And some won't even then.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

not sure what most of that means.
    my modem doesnt have an ethernet port though.

i have taken my laptop to other locations where wireless is enabled and it was a simple matter of flicking the switch on the front and removing my tiscali broadband connection from the default position and i had no problems connecting to the net then.
    the bt telephone adaptor thing has an ethernet port so should i use that instead of my current modem?

5. hbroomhall

Which modem? The USB won't have one. If the BT Voyager doesn't either send it back.

"On the front" of what? What switch? Is this the WiFi switch on the laptop?
    It worked because the place you were at had a router/access point properly connected. This is what you need to do for yourself.
    I suggest you ignore this unless you have an account with "BT Broadband Talk". Where did this unit come from?

Harry.

6. hbroomhall

I have now looked up the Voyager 2100, and I see that it includes a 4 port switch. There are 4 Ethernet sockets in the back

Harry.

7. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

hmm. no i dont have broadband talk. i dont even havea bt line anymore i switched to onetel a while back.
    so i can ignore the adaptor thingy, thats comforting. as for the rest im going to have to use a question mark when i say data socket in the wall?
    im at home and have an ordinary phone line,nothin else. i am using a microfilter with the usb modem.
    according to the wireless help page on tiscali i should conect the microfilter to the wireless adsl (bt 2100) i did what it asked and it even matched the diagrams they had, still there was nothing.

i know i have 4 ethernet ports on the 2100 but i dont know where to put the other end of it, although im sure this late at night you have a few suggestions that wont be in any manual.

do i need to get a thing put in the wall before i can go wireless?

i was happily plodding through my A+ course earlier on today, i think ill give up now, this networking lark has got me completely flummoxed.

i actually got the 2100 and the adaptor for free from someone who was giving them away. they were both new and unused.

8. hbroomhall

That socket is where the USB modem is currently connected. Take it out and connect the Voyager instead.
    Start off by connecting to the Voyager with Ethernet. The problems with WiFi is that there are so many extra things to set up it is hard to trouble shoot if things don't work.

Harry.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is assuming that that bmurray has a network card in his laptop.

Phone line...........>>>>.........[BT Voyager].....ethernet cable.....>>>>...[Lappy]

You will need to access the BT Voyager setup screen via a web browser on your lappy and configure your username and password, and possibly tweek a few other things depending on your ISP. As Harry said, forget wireless for now, as that should be set up after you have things properly configured to connect to your ISP.

Once you have this working, don't forget to configure wireless encryption - but do that last.

10. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

11. hbroomhall

A laptop with WiFi but no Ethernet socket? Possible - but unusual! :biggrin
    Yup - I'd go with that advice.

Also I'd see if the setup CD sorts it for you (via Ethernet). Some of these will configure over Ethernet, rather than insisting on a working TCP/IP stack.

Harry.

12. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

thanks to all who replied i was tearing my hair out a bit with this one and it turns out it was very simple after all, i recconnected the unit the simple way i had done it in the first place and THEN i had to go to http://voyager.home to enter my usernameand password.
    allworking now and all wireless.
    thanks again.
    B.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted B :biggrin

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

How true! I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago, when someone assumed they were with BT because they didn't have Sky!

Merry Christmas

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT