wireless network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by billaricky, Feb 3, 2006.

1. billaricky

billaricky Bit Poster

i went to users/setup user name "family" on both pc's , enabled file sharrng by running the network wizard i used a network setup disk as prompted, then created a folder on both pc's called "test",enabled sharing for this folder on both pc's.
    then i went to my network places,clicked on workgrouped pc's,clicked on mshome(default name)
    on my pc (xp home) it just shows my pc.
    when i repeat process on kids pc(xp media) it shows both computers,but when i click main comp it says access denied.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just for now (if it's not already) can you disable the firewall on your PC and try again?

:blink

3. billaricky

billaricky Bit Poster

sorry for the delayed response,i have tried disableing the firewalls on both machines, no joy!!

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to create a *password* for the account family on both computers. Both must have the same username and password. Authentication looks at the user name/password combination when deciding whether to allow or deny access.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. billaricky

billaricky Bit Poster

hello, i tried the password advice, no joy still.i can still see my comp from the kids machine but can't access it.still can't see kids machine from my comp though.does anyone know about the modem (voyager 2100) maybe the problem lies there,what i could do with is some step by step instructions,unfortunatly bt dont offer much support when i phoned them they said there were no changes that needed to be done to enable a wireless network,when i created the passwords was i supposed to use the wireless network wizard again? because i did'nt. when i click on my network places it just shows the files i have share enabled,then i click on workgrouped computers it just shows my pc

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you tried the following? :-

On your machine bring up the 'run' box. In that type
    Code:
    \\kids
    where 'kids' is the name of your kids machine. An explorer box should appear with icons for the shared resouces.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. billaricky

billaricky Bit Poster

in an earlier post i was told to ping the kids machine,i'm a muppet and i pinged the wrong ip address,i have just found the right ip address and it says 4 packets sent,4 packets lost.this is probably where the problem is!!!!!!!!!!!!!,i appreciate all the help you have all given so far,what should i do next?pour a bucket of water over the pc maybe?

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First we need to gather some info about the machines.

On both machines bring up a cmd box (select run and enter cmd in there) and type
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    . Then post the results here.

If you are concerned about publishing info on a public board feel free to PM me them instead.

Don't forget to indicate which one is which!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+