wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by PAT, Jul 15, 2007.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

I’m hoping to have wireless network at home and want the best security possible on the market so what the best router/ADSL modem to go for. Is WPA-PSK the best now?

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I dont know much about Wireless security but WPA2 more secure then WPA.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For top security abandon WiFi and either 1) use cables, or 2) use HomePlug.

WPA2 is about the best there is in security for WiFi at the moment, but, IMHO, this isn't saying much! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - WPA2 has it's own vulnerabilities, but if you run it with a proper authentication protocol like 802.1x you will be as safe as it matters.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

What is the current opinion on homeplug? I know when it first came out some brands were a bit ropey. Just wondering if it has improved.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  6. hbroomhall

I posted about it a few months ago.

Basicaly I went down to PC World (Ugh - but they were cheaper than Maplins) and bought a starter kit. I plugged them in and it just worked! I was so surprised (this is networking remember) that I had to sit down with a good stiff drink to remind me I wasn't dreaming!

I then took the units down to a west-country hotel where a group of us were meeting. In the past getting a Internet connection was high voodoo, mostly because the hotel was about 400 years old, so the walls were feet thick. So WiFi was out, and we had to find ways of stringing long cables.

This time, again, I plugged the Homeplug units in and they worked instantly!

Harry.

7. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Nice.

Do you remember what make\brand they were? Just so I can take note for the future.

Thanks

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  8. hbroomhall

This was the box I bought. I didn't go for the higher speed ones as I didn't need such speeds, and didn't see the point in paying more.

Harry.