Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by rusty155, Jun 28, 2006.

1. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Right, here goes!

We have two networks ath the school where I work, one Admin and one Curriculum. The school want to install wireless access points primarily for using laptops for registration to replace our current Bromcom Folders. However, I forsee that the teachers are going to want to access various things on both networks.

Sat between the two networks we have a software-based Symantec Raptor Firewall with an RSA Token Authentication system. They currently use this to tunnel through from Curriculum stations to the admin network to connect to SIMS. They cannot currently access shared resources on the admin network from the curriculum side.

At the moment their laptops are a horrible mixture of curriculum clients, admin clients and standalones!! My plan is to sit the wireless ap's on the admin network and get all the staff laptops on the admin domain - no nonsense for registration and SIMS. Further to this, I plan to open up the firewall to allow staff to map curriculum shares and use resources on the curriculum network. I don't see any problems with security this way as the curriculum side will still be shut off from the admin network containing student records etc. Obviously i will have to create a logon script for the laptops to alter the route table, thus enabling them to connect to curriculum resources.

Has anyone else done anything similar? Or can you see any potential difficulties / flaws in my plan?!! Any help would be much appreciated,

Charlie.

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A question - Why has the school kept a two network system? Would it not make more sense to integrate the two networks?

I can't seen any flwas in your plan, but then again it is early and I've only just got into work. :rolleyes:

3. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

The school has kept a two network system because the council tell them to and the school do everything the school tell them!

I have one problem regarding the above plan and that is with cross-authentication of users across the domains. Currently all staff have two usernames and passwords - one for each domain. In an ideal world I would change the usernames and passwords on the admin network to match those on the curriculum.

However, I do not believe that this is going to be possible as the council supposedly support the admin side and will get funny if i go in anf change their naming convention!

How can I map drives from another domain in this scenario? -Any ideas?!!

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

external trust (http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/31915de7-ff58-4f26-a8ec-450ffca759121033.mspx)

5. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

thanks d-factor. perfect!