Wireless LAN extension

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by garyb, Mar 6, 2007.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    I have a Sky router downstairs on the main BT point and my PC upstairs in my office connecting via a Netgear WG111T USB device. I now need to setup a server and 2 more PCs for to create a homelab. I want to put a Wireless LAN switch in my office that connects wirelessly to the Sky Router but allows me to cable the new boxes with ethernet. I know I could simply run CAT5e or telephone extension socket upstairs but that may just push the wife over the edge! Shes not happy about the xtra kit as it is!!

Many thanx
    G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Gary,

I have kept my *learning domain* isolated for the moment. Don't forget, if you want it *live* you will need to consider a network AV solution, patches, firewall configuration etc not to mention the IP setup for your daily machines.

Up to you, but personally I want to be entirely happy with Server before making it *live*.

As for the equipment, it would make sense to have the router connected upstairs (on a wired BT connection) and wireless for the rest of the house.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

My lab which is basically my server and a old client machine both connected to a switch and that is seperate to my main network which has access to the internet. I did this as Boyce said:

And plus if I mess something up and the network goes down etc. Then all the pressure is on me and I don't like pressure.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  4. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hmmm. Good point, I never thought about not connecting, I presumed I would need internet access for the MCSA server courses to test external DNS, forwarding etc. I have several hardwire firewalls lying around and can utlise AV licenses from work, but I may take your advice and leave on its own LAN.

Cheers

G

5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

That looks pretty good to be honest. Good find!

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Never used one, or know anyone who has. Be interested to hear if you do go down that route.

Si

8. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I haven't used it personally, but an ex colleague did for a similar situation - set up a wireless router in the boss's 3 storey house, and used these with additional AP's to allow roaming.

Seemed to work well enough from what I remember.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbleft

10. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanx BrizoH,
    I tried this a while back at work and had little joy, but it certainly looks like things have moved on so I may give that a shot. If I can find our original hardware I will try it today & post back any comments..

Cheers