Wireless internet connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Raffaz, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im doing a course and their wireless keeps dropping. It seems like its a problem with the router because all the computers go down together. Its a BT2700HGV router if that helps. Is there anything i should be looking for. Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If all the comps are loosing their connection together then you're right that it def sounds like an issue with the Access Point, although it could also be the line.

Do you know anything about how it is set up?

Have you noticed if the router goes down and restarts, or if it just looseses its Internet connection? Or does it keep its connection but loose its wireless.

3. Raffaz

What do you need to know about the setup? Im sitting at the computers now.:)
    The router is in a different room so im not sure if its restarting or not, i just know that all the connections on the computers go down together and then they reconnect a minute or so later. Could it possibly be the router channel causing problems, because there are other companies AP's on the same floor aswell.

4. Raffaz

Just to add to the info already given. All the computers are running SP1, could that be the problem?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Possibly, the wireless support in XP was dramatically improved with the implementation of SP2.8)

6. Raffaz

Yeah, i thought as much:) Ive changed the router channel aswell so il see how it goes tomorrow. Was gonna install SP2 on one of the machines to test it but i havent got admin rights.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There might be a reason why SP2 isn’t installed. Generally this because of a software compatibility problem.

Is there any firmware updates for the router?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Raffaz

Theres no firware updates, ive already checked mate.

9. Sparky

Cool, can you install security patches on the PC? If so you might be able to pull down SP2 from Windows update.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have an XP machine on an isolated network without SP2 and the performance is considerable compared to a machine which has it.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Raffaz

I tried windows update when i was there but it wouldnt let me.

12. Sparky

Ahh, I noticed that a while ago when trying to run Windows update from a users PC, it wouldnt work as the user was only a member of the domain users group.

Try logging in as administrator locally with a blank password, might get lucky! :biggrin

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you tried blowing out the wireless router with a can of wireless duster spray? :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Raffaz

Tried it, no such luck:)