Wireless Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by billw, Mar 6, 2008.

1. billw

billw New Member

Hi,

I have a BT HomeHub with a Desktop connected by ethernet and two notebooks (1 Dell and 1 Compaq)connected by wireless with both managed by Windows. The two notebooks have both been working fine since it was initially set up about 3 months ago.

For the last week or so the Compaq notebook has been unable to connect. During this time the desktop and Dell notebook have been working as normal.

When I view available networks on the Compaq it shows the BT HomeHub network with an excellent signal (all 5 bars solid green). It was initially set up to connect automatically however I now have to make the connection. When I press the connect command it asks for the 10 digit wireless key. When I enter this it tries to make the connection but cannot connect.

I've checked the properties with those on my Dell notebook and cannot see anything different.

I've tried it numerous times but cannot make a connection.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

First, have you tried rebooting the HH? I found that I had to reboot my HH almost daily to allow a wireless connection, so it could be something like that.

Secondly, did you recently upgrade the problem machine to XP SP2? and if so, are you using WPA2 on the HH? If so, XPSP2 needs a patch to enable it to work with WPA2, so i suppose that could be the cause too.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. billw

billw New Member

I know what you mean about having to reboot the HH as I had to do that quite a lot initially but over the last 5 weeks or so haven't had that problem.

The problem with the Compaq occurs at the same time as I have access to the internet via the wireless connection to the HH from my Dell notebook.

Both notebooks are at the same level of XP and haven't been upgraded recently?

4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Run in fear, the homehub is useless! I replaced mine with a Linksys because it kept locking up and not allowing any traffic to it when the load on it was high....

Jack

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A friend of mine has a home hub and he has been having the same problems. Jacks suggestion is a good one get another router and see if that frees up some of the problems.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

No problems what so ever here using a Linksys AG241

7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

billw,

Does the Compaq notebook have a wired Ethernet port?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi billw,
    I've had exactly the same problem with a friends BT HH. The desktop pc would connect fine and so would my laptop, but the Sony Vaio laptop that they had just wouldn't connect to it. Tried changing the encryption level, removed encryption completely, removed and replaced the wireless card in the Sony, did a repair on XP, and then a complete reinstall and still it wouldn't connect. The solution in the end was to restore the BT HH back to factory settings and everything connects fine now.

HTH

NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Another possible issue is that your Compaq notebook is picking up a wireless network on the same channel, even if it has a lower signal it can still be disruptive. if this is the case you should change the channel to something at least a couple of channels away.

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  10. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

To confirm this download a programme called "NetStumbler" - It's a scanning tool for wireless and it will show you all beacons within the area, what channel they are on and what protection they use.

Also, to help, if you do see someone elses beacon active on the same channel as yours change yours to a different one. This Link may help explain what to / why. I have bolded out the important bit being that in Wireless there are 3 "clean" channels, namely 1, 6 and 11 that don't overlap much and give the best results when installed near each other.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  11. rwlk

rwlk Bit Poster

I would suggest you check if laptops, desktop and AP are all using same encryption type. your AP could be using WPA2, while laptops are on WPA. i used to have same at home.

Certifications: B.Sc.
    WIP: CCNA, CWNA, Security+
  12. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

you probably won't need this software as most wireless scanners that come with your PC tell you which port a wireless network is on.

Also your post says pretty much exactly what mine does, granted with a little extra info.:blink

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  13. mario4415

mario4415 New Member

:Dhey the problem is not with the BT home hub, its with the computer which is not working wirelessly. The BT hH is prefect as other 2 computers are working fine wirelessly. To solve your problem kindly do these settings on the wireless computer on which the internet no working fine. On the non working wireless computer delete the old wireless profiles and then disable the firewall. Then try connecting again back to the BT HH's wireless network. Get the wireless computer closer to the BT HH. As i work in D-Link and these issue are some common problem what we take care of.:biggrin

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My condolences. Every D-Link device I've worked with has been a piece of junk... and that's being generous.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!