Wireless Broadband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by rax, Dec 6, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi All,

So I found out today that my work colleague has full 3G signal in our office on Three and using the N96, while my iPhone on o2 barely reaches 3 bars and is constantly dropping.

I had initially thought it was due to the type of building and had ruled out using some form of 3G for my laptop. I'm now considering it again.

I'm hoping for some information regarding the 3G broadband quality, namely ping time and reliability. We do have a connection that is free to use for all staff but it's really poor, not just high latency but spikes and so on.

So.. Does anyone have wireless broadband and if so what pings do you get to bbc.co.uk, multiplay.co.uk, k-play.de and xs4all.nl and how does this compare to your landline ping times? How reliable is the service when you're in an area with good coverage?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

o2 3g is quite poor, i'm with them and i'm wanting to use my phone as a 3g modem on a laptop. apparantly o2 restrict the bandwidth but there are some settings that need to be changed to recieve the full bandwidth but i'm yet to find out what they are

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. richeh

richeh New Member

Hi, I use BT Broadban and have always been a fan of wired connection over wireless, but my ethernet cable broke the other week and have been using wireless (bt home hub) and its great. not really noticed any difference.

Certifications: None!
    WIP: A+ network +