Wireless bridge...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Tomsolomon, May 25, 2009.

1. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Livebox and Netgear dg834gV3......

Everything is connected via cable atm, and connected to internet, (obviously, or wouldn't be posting.) untill I can set up the WDS on the Netgear.
    Couple of things, I have dissabled DHCP on the dg834 and DHCP on the livebox has assigned an IP to the PC, can I put the dg834 on a seperate network (Subnet) and would DHCP on the livebox still assign an IP automatically?
    Also Livebox is not showing Netgear in associated devices, but Netgear is showing Livebox. Will this cause a problem when I go wireless?

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In a lot of cases in my experience bridges don't work unless:
    1) The manufacturers are the same
    2) The docs *say* it will bridge.

I've got bridges working, but only with the above two pre-requisites in place.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

OK the Livebox is a dead duck, these things are pants when it comes to manual configuration. The firmware can be flashed, but not realy worth the effort. The Netgear has switch and bridge capabilities...
    I have a Dlink router winging its way to my door as we speak, should have a bit better luck with that.....
    The Netgear will recognise the Dlink, lets hope the same can be said for the Dlink... will keep an update.

4. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Ok the new router is here it's a D-link DSL2640R.
    It works off the batt through ethernet but I'm having problems configuring the wireless....
    Both routers have been supplied with each others MAC address, SSID's and WAP2 keys are matching, Netgear has been configured as a repeater, both have been assigned static IP's, and DHCP is disabled on the Netgear.

Would it be worth disabling wireless encryption to see if that works? Or is there something more obvious I have missed?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good luck with that. D-Links are steaming turds. I've encountered more failing D-Links than working ones - including those right out of the box. Stick with Netgear or Linksys.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

OK just clicked on basic settings on the Netgear and changed to "internet does not require logon."
    Also now chaned to IP over ATM "IPoA" manually configured IP Sub and gateway. gonna try it tomorrow though because I'm knackered and need sleep......
    NM... :p

7. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

i THINK i JUST PEEED MY PANTS.....
    Done it.....Woot...:blink
    Will post the full configuration as soon as I work out exactly how I did it.... LOL

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Excellent.. i would be interested to know what you did, as personally my experiance has been the same as Harry's ^^

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)