Wireless AP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jun 26, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

A friend of mine was given a wireless AP, that is connected via POE. He cant get it working so i thought i would have a look but im hitting a brick wall. He wants it to extend his wifi signal in his house.

The make is an extreme Networks altitude 4251 series access point.

From my limited experience of setting these up normally they would run through a switch, but i also thought this could be run through my home LAN

When i connect it up, and i have green lights on the POE, to indicate the ethernet cables are where they should be, i can see it when i log into the routers home page, but when i try and access the page i cant get to it. The address is assigned by DHCP on my lane and on the AP. The adress i was given ended 1.8, when i typed in the whole address 192.168.1.8, i seem to get redirected to 1.4, so i try the 1.4, but nothing.

I have switched the wireless off on my router, but this makes no difference? The only thing i can think of is to manually assign it an address and keep the wifi off, or am i wasting my time and and need to configure it all through a network switch ??

Thanks for any help

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Have you factory reset the AP since you got it?

Any idea how it was configured previously? Could it have been hooked up to a controller of some kind?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yes Josh, i have just reset it now but i wasnt getting any indication that it had actually done a reset etc as i didnt see any flashing lights, or lights go out when i used the paper clip for the button. It is fresh out of the box however

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

Bit of an update.

I decided to see if it was on my network using angry IP scanner, and it is, i know this because i have the computer im typing on and the router as well. and a third device which is the access point. Now the IP is assigned by DHCP, so by rights i should be able to type in that IP address in my browser and access the login page and then configure the settings from there, but this is where im coming unstuck.

Ive looked in the manual which says its already set up for DHCP, but you can use a static or zero config option if you wish, but im certain you dont need to go down this route, im also not sure if i can bridge the 2 wireless connections together, the one from my LAN to the one which is the AP. I dare say i cant as the device is not a LAN repeater???

Am i wasting my time here and do i need to access this using a switch ???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You probably need to patch it into your switch mate and go from there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs