wireless and security

Discussion in 'Networks' started by mrtec, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mrtec

mrtec Bit Poster

Hi guys,

basically i have got this problem, which i dont understand.

a router(unsecured) + wireless laptop = internet FINE

a router ( secured by any sort of encription) + wireless laptop = No connection at all

Router : Dlink di524
    Laptop : Acer aspire s100 windows vista

thanks in advance for replies

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCP
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The first thing I would suggest is to update the drivers for the wireless card and see if that helps. This isn't a really old laptop that you hgave shoehorned vista on to is it? Or did it come with Vista?

If it's latter then it's a bit unusual that it wouldn't support any wireless security types. Unless there is something wrong with your router ... You could try a different laptop maybe and see if that helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

After trying what Modey has suggested try applying security in the lowest order, i.e. WEP, then WPA.

Some older laptops (wireless cards) only support WEP.

4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Are you sure that you are entering the configuration details on the node exactly as they are entered on the access point? I think even a trailing space could give you a problem.

Also, exactly what security is being enabled – wep, wpa, mac filtering….?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

does the laptop need authorising on the router for it to connect ?

can you see the laptop connected to the router in attached devices ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would double check the key and encryption settings. To make sure that the key is entered correctly you could connect the laptop with ethernet and then go into the router settings and copy/paste the key. Thats what i normally do when im doing citrix sessions with customers.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I would guess not Grim if he can connect with the wireless security disabled.

I have come across older WAP's that have gained WPA via a firmware update and then not been able to connect to the AP with a laptop that definitely supported WPA. I had to use 128bit WEP and mac address filtering on that one as a poor second best.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mrtec,

Questions:
    1. What make and model is the router?
    2. What make and model is the laptop?
    3. What operating system is on the wireless laptop?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA