Wireless ADSL problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Luddym, May 17, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I'm with Tiscali ADSL, which helpfully came with a speedtouch 330 USB modem.

About 12 months ago I bought a D-Link G604T router, so I could use it for wireless. Plugged the telephone lead into the Router, set it up and it worked great for 6 months, then every few minutes it would disconnect the ADSL then reconnect. I sharply put it away and went back to using the speedtouch modem.

Now... I have a Wii, so though I'd better get the wireless up again. I bought another unit, this time off ebay, and I have the same sort of problem. I've been through the help pages, ammended router settings but still it wont keep a constant ADSL connection, sooo.....

I'm trying to share the connection through my main PC. I've plugged in and connection the speed touch modem so the PC is on the net. I've shared the connection. Plugged an ethernet cable from the back of my pc to the router, the PC gets a DHCP address as expected. I changed the DNS setting on the router to point to the IP of the PC network cable, and change the DG of all wireless connections to the same... but the Wii is recognising there is a wireless point, but it appears there is no connection to the internet. Can anyone spot where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You may be able to fix the ADSL problem with one of the routers by updating the firmware. Have a look and see what version is installed compared to the current version available from their website.

As for the connection sharing, when you share a connection in XP / Vista the PC takes on the role of DHCP server with the LAN port having a fixed address of 192.168.0.1. If you have DHCP enabled on your router the WII is getting its address and default gateway from the router, which are probably the wrong settings. You need to switch off DHCP on the router and assign it a static IP of 192.168.0.10 (don’t use 192.168.0.2 as the PC may try and issue this to the next client). Hopefully (if your router also works as a switch across the LAN ports) the DHCP information will pass from the PC through the router to the WII, and bingo... your online. This is similar to my home setup where I have a wired router running DHCP acting as the ADSL connection, and a wireless router hard wired to that used just as an access point.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why not get a proper ADSL router if the D-Link is no good?

On the new router you are trying to use it as a switch and AP, and ignoring the routing part. This can be done, but can be tricky to set up, and coupled with using ICS no wonder you are having problems!

First - on the router you must switch off the DHCP server - your PC is doing that and having two servers on a network is a no-no.

Second - the default route on the router is irrelevant - it should be cleared out so that it doesn't try and do the wrong thing.

In fact - the best place to start is switch everything off on the router!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey, thanks for the advice guys, will give them a go.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

D-Links are crap.

That is all.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

Why are you still using your Speedtouch modem and ICS when the D-Link come with built-in modem.

Why not do away with the Speedtouch and just use the D-Link for everything.

As for the line keeps dropping with your old one, did you change the line filters and make sure every phone in the house has one too.

I use a D-Link G604T with 3 wired pc's and 2 wireless laptops plus a Wii. I know they are not the best but it does the job

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. NightWalker

lol :biggrin

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think that is a little sweeping! :p

I have a pair of DWL-2000AP units that are absolutely rock solid.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, perhaps go for an all in one ADSL\Router\Switch\Wireless device. Plenty to pick from 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'd say that too if you had seen as many defective D-Links as I have. Had a non-techie friend ask for help with his wireless setup. Turns out he had a D-Link AP and a D-Link PC Card. First, the buggy client software wouldn't retain the key. And at one point, the software wouldn't let me REMOVE the key, so I had to remove the software and reinstall it. So I eventually configured both sides without encryption, just to try to get something to work. You'd think they'd associate, being from the same company, right? Nope... and the devices were within feet of each other, clear path.

I told the friend to take BOTH of them back and get Netgear or Linksys stuff. After he did so, everything went smoothly.

I've had occasional problems with Netgear and Linksys... as you will with wireless devices. But I've had problems with about 80% of the D-Links I've run across, I kid you not. Absolutely horrible.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. NightWalker

Luddym; did you get it working in the end?

12. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I tried updating the firmware on one of the boxes and it just plain stopped working.

Did the same on the other one but same thing. I've decided to go and buy a better brand. :biggrin

13. NightWalker

I have never used D-Link, my stuff is Netgear. Its pretty bad if the thing won't work after a firmware update, send em back!