Wireless Access Point problem

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Stoney, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my WAP at home, it's a 2Wire Intelligent Gateway 1800. I originally had it setup so that I could get a broadband connection through it, and it wasn't connected to my LAN.

I assigned a static IP address to the WAP so that I could access the LAN through it, but now it's gone! I can't access the settings page through a web browser like I used to.

The IP address was the same network ID and subnet as the LAN, and I turned off Enable DHCP.

I'm a little confused. Even when i'm hard wired into the WAP I can't get back to the setup utility. 2Wire's support area has nothing on this and I can't even find how to reset the WAP back to factory settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

try resetting the WAP so that at least you are able to get into the configuration menu through your browser and then re-configure the settings for the WAP

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Hey Stoney

Firstly, try disconnecting your laptop/pc from your network, assigning a static IP address within the same range as your WAP and then try connecting using your ethernet cable...the reason why you might not be able to connect to the wap hardwired could be due to your pc/laptop is configured to auto assign IP by your DHCP...and if the WAP is not set as a DHCP server when you are connecting you will be getting an APIPA (169.254...) address.

Secondly, if the above does not work, try this:

Found the above quote from this site

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Finally, you could try plugging a crossover cable into the RJ45 port on your lappy/PC and into the Ethernet port on your WAP. Give your lappy a static IP in the same range that the WAP is set up for (eg: if the WAP's default IP is 192.168.1.100, try giving yourself 192.168.1.185 or something).

That might get you into the config page without having to factory reset.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As you have turned off DHCP, you need to give the PC you are trying to access the AP from a static IP too, in the same range!

Just to clarify what the others are saying.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If all the good advice given already doesn't work then there should be a small hole (just the right size for a paper clip) somewhere which will reset everything to factory default settings.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Sorted it! :cheers

I gave the laptop a static IP address with the same network ID and subnet as the WAP. It then allowed me to connect to the settings throught firefox.

Thanks for the help guys.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270