Wired / wireless help

Discussion in 'Networks' started by datarunner, Mar 24, 2009.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

got a wee prob thats been doing my head in all day.

i have connected to xp boxes to a bt 2wire hub via cat5 cable and both can see each other fine in my network places and share files. so far so good.

but when i add a laptop wirelessly it cannot see the 2 pcs and they cant see the laptop. nor can they ping each other.

all are on the same workgroup but as far as i can see the router is issuing different ip ranges to the wired and wireless networks.

ive even tried setting the wireless laptop with a static ip in the same range as the xp machines.

i have set this up before and had no probs.

i need to be able to share files from the xp machines to the laptop

any ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Windows Firewall?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

sorry forgot to say that they are all off on all nics

regards

4. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Might be a bit obvious but is the laptop configured to see other network shares (i.e. Network Discovery / File sharing in Vista)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Set DHCP up so that it gives the same IP range... if that's not possible, set the desktops up as static, and create a reservation in the DHCP scope on the router...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

will try that bud but it looks as if this router calls the wired and wireless networks as separate names - local lan (wired) and fusion (wireless) with different ip ranges.

but i will try wot u said and if not i will try a router that i know works with this

regards

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Can't you just rip the config out of the router and start again? Sounds to me like there are two LANs - one for wired and one for wireless - which might be a decent setup for someone who knows what they're doing, but would probably only confuse the s**t out of a regular user (I'm guessing that's the sort of client you're putting it in for?)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi bud

seems that that is the way the router is "hardwired" on the router setup screen - a lan and wireless with separate ip ranges. never came across one of these routers before.

just of topic - my understanding of routers was that they can "route" data between networks whether local or wan.

but i will let u all know

regards

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Maybe login to the 2 wire and take a look at the: "View Network Summary" / "Local Devices" page (if that's still there) as from what I remember, it shows you the name of the device and the configuration specific to it and may give you a clue...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if this will help also?

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE